[comp.sys.mac] MacSnap Memory Addition

johnr@hpisla.HP.COM (John Repko) (04/29/87)

I am interested in upgrading a 512K Mac to 1M (and beyond) using
MacSnap 524 from Dove Technologies.  I have heard that the same
board is used for both the 1M and 2M upgrades, with the big
difference being the amount of memory included.

Is it possible (simple) to upgrade beyond 1M by adding the
missing memory?   I'd appreciate hearing from anyone that's
done it.

TIA   (Hi Ho)
John Repko          ihnp4!hpfcla!hpisla!johnr

lad@eplrx7.UUCP (Lawrence A. Dziegielewski) (05/01/87)

In article <5880002@hpisla.HP.COM>, johnr@hpisla.HP.COM (John Repko) writes:
> I am interested in upgrading a 512K Mac to 1M (and beyond) using
> MacSnap 524 from Dove Technologies.  I have heard that the same

The Dove upgrades are bad news.  As a Developer and a VAR I installed many
of them,  only to have them go sour after a short time.  Those dip snap
sockets they use are terrible,  and they never manage to stay on.  Dove
sends a bunch to ty-wraps in the kit,  they want you to faster their board
to the Mac motherboard with them.

If you want a good,  RELIABLE 2 meg board,  call me. I recommend LEVCO.
They're the best,  and always have been.  I can guide you to the right board
if you give me a call.

	Lawrence A. Dziegielwski                E.I. DuPont Co.
        UUCP: {dgis, psuvax1}!eplrx7!lad        Engineering Physics Lab
        GENIE:  LARRY.DSKI                      Wilm, DE
        Cash-We-Serve:  76127,104
        MCIMAIL: idt
	MABELL: (302) 695-7719

G4SY@CRNLVAX5.BITNET (Alain Dumesny) (05/13/87)

In article: <5880002@hpisla.HP.COM>, johnr@hpisla.HP.COM (John Repko) writes:
>I am interested in upgrading a 512K Mac to 1M (and beyond) using
>MacSnap 524 from Dove Technologies.  I have heard that the same
>board is used for both the 1M and 2M upgrades, with the big
>difference being the amount of memory included.

>Is it possible (simple) to upgrade beyond 1M by adding the
>missing memory?   I'd appreciate hearing from anyone that's
>done it.

I was thinking about doing the same thing for my "512K"E (third party) mac.
I called Dove Technical department to ask them about doing that, and
the first time they tolled me that all I had to do was:

        1- put an extra 1Mb of ram on the board
        2- solder the corresponding capacitors that are missing
        3- reconnect on wire that is cut on the 1Mb board
        4- add the socket H4 ('push 1' area) on the back

I also presume that you have to set the dip switch to recognize the extra
memory, but the information is supply in the Dove manual.   Also some
people mentioned on the net that Dove wave solder all the holes shut
(unsolder all of them is NOT a fun prospect to do).

However one problem arises because I don't know what that H4 socket looks
like (I expect it to be the same as the other ones, 14 pins instead of
20, however I had never seen one yet), and if it is possible
(i.e. easy) to buy one from a shop ??

Also I heard about the power supply problem, especially in 128K that
since have been upgraded to 512K by third party, when using 2Mb upgrades.
Now my question is: is anybody out there in the Netland knows what
Apple dealers do to the power supply when they upgrade macs to 512K to
accommodate for more power.  Is it possible to do that on my third party
512KE mac ???
This way my mac won't go in flames once I get the Dove
upgrade (because I don't have much of a choice with a HyperDrive !!).

Please send me an Email back if you find anything new, comments will be
appreciated.   Or even just write me back to tell me that you saw this
message, this way I will know if this got anywhere at all...

thanks,

Alain Dumesny              G4SY@CRNLVAX5.Bitnet          (607)253-6043
Cornell University.