[comp.sys.mac] Need to make a few connections

howard@amdahl.amdahl.com (The Toolmaster) (05/11/87)

HELP!  In the profound words of that bunch from MacMemory, "...when you have a
problem you want a solution."  I have a problem, maybe the net can help.

I need to know what packaged solutions exist for getting a lot of different
things to print on a Laserwriter.  We have guys with Macs, guys with Zenith
PC clones, and guys on the mainframe that would all like to print to a common
Laserwriter.

The simplest and fastest solution would appear to be run a Phonenet and slot
an Appletalk board into the Zeniths.  I know exactly what this buys the Macs,
and maybe I'm asking the wrong group, but what will this actually buy the
Zeniths.  I guess we're talking TOPS Print as the Zenith based software
but I am unsure exactly what that buys the user.  Anyone know?

Anyway, how do I connect the mainframe.  Fastpath/Ethernet is out for now,
I have full-duplex and 3270 coax-type lines to work with.  I thought maybe
I could setup a Zenith with a coax board and an Appletalk board and let a
mainframe based spooler (lp) use the box as a passthrough to the ATalk net.
Would something like that work?

Anyway, suppose we kill the phonenet; does anyone make a version of the
Laserwriter driver that sends its data out the printer port as regular
async data at say 19.2K baud.  This would be EXTREMELY useful anyway.
In this configuration, I could have the Macs & Zeniths spooling output
up to the host, postscript for the Macs and whatever for the Zeniths.

( By the way, you might wonder why I continually call the clones "Zeniths".
  I believe the term PC means personal computer and I was using it to refer
  to Apple IIs before IBM was even in the game. )

What I would like to avoid is the Mac users having to hold down Command-F
or whatever to generate a postscript file and then upload it in order to
get some printout.  Any ideas and product pointers would be greatly appreciated.
--
"Plan for the future because that's where you                Howard C. Simonson
    are going to spend the rest of your life." {hplabs,ihnp4,nsc}!amdahl!howard

[ The disclaimer for this message may be found in my next article ]

briand@tekig4.UUCP (05/12/87)

>( By the way, you might wonder why I continually call the clones "Zeniths".
>  I believe the term PC means personal computer and I was using it to refer
>  to Apple IIs before IBM was even in the game. )

I'm with you. Once IBM came out with "PC," I assumed it meant "Piece of Crap."
But I've changed my tune now that they've introduced the PC II - I think the
letters now mean "Patently Copied!"

No, don't flame me, it's only a little net humor. Hit 'n' if you're offended.

--
-Brian Diehm     (SDA - Standard Disclaimers Apply)
Tektronix, Inc.

merchant@dartvax.UUCP (Peter Merchant) (05/13/87)

In article <6534@amdahl.amdahl.com>, howard@amdahl.amdahl.com (The Toolmaster) writes:
> I need to know what packaged solutions exist for getting a lot of different
> things to print on a Laserwriter.  We have guys with Macs, guys with Zenith
> PC clones, and guys on the mainframe that would all like to print to a common
> Laserwriter.
>
> The simplest and fastest solution would appear to be run a Phonenet and slot
> an Appletalk board into the Zeniths.  I know exactly what this buys the Macs,
> and maybe I'm asking the wrong group, but what will this actually buy the
> Zeniths.  I guess we're talking TOPS Print as the Zenith based software
> but I am unsure exactly what that buys the user.  Anyone know?
> --
> "Plan for the future because that's where you                Howard C. Simonson
>     are going to spend the rest of your life." {hplabs,ihnp4,nsc}!amdahl!howard
>          - Mark Twain -

TOPSPrint gives the Zeniths a painless way to print on the LaserWriter.  What
it does is turn MSDOS's LPT1: (or LPT2:) into a connection to the LaserWriter.
It seems to spool it to the disk first (so your Zenith users might want to have
a hard disk) and when it decides you're done it ships it off to the LaserWriter.
It allows you emulate a Diablo 630 or a Epson FX-80 (although I have found
software that the emulation does not work with!) or you can send Postscript.
The new version of TOPSPrint is supposed to work with Windows and GEM.

Now, I tried the card in the Zenith 248 and it didn't work.  However, I had
about 5 minutes to try it before the Zenith people wanted their computer back,
so I didn't get much of a chance to try adjusting the various jumpers and
other ick.  I hope to be getting a Zenith 248 to try it more.
--
"Way above it all.                        Peter Merchant (merchant@dartvax.UUCP)
 Standing on higher ground."