[comp.sys.mac] 68881 Installed?

rs4u#@ANDREW.CMU.EDU.UUCP (05/05/87)

How can a program determine whether a math coprocessor is installed?
I know that there's a lowmemory global, but CPUFlags only tells
what kind of main processor is in, and not whether there's a 68881. Is
there any way to tell, besides having the program crash with an F-Line exception?

		--Rich

Richard M. Siegel
Materials Characterization Instrumentation Section
Mail Stop 231
NASA/Langley Research Center
Hampton, Virginia 23665
(804) 865-3036

Arpanet: rs4u@andrew.cmu.edu
Uucp: {your fave gateway}!seismo!andrew.cmu.edu!rs4u

Disclaimer? I don't even KNOW 'er!

jww@sdcsvax.UCSD.EDU (Joel West) (05/06/87)

System Global HWCfFlags (word at location $B22) is a bit mask.  Try the
value $1000 as a bit mask, with non-zero being present.

I believe there's also a compatibility trap in the works that
will give you a boolean value.
--
	Joel West
	{ucbvax,ihnp4}!sdcsvax!jww	(ihnp4!gould9!joel if I ever fix news)

graifer@net1.UUCP (05/07/87)

All you guys testing for the 68881, where do I get one? Especially if I don't
want a 68020 to go with it?  I've tried contacting a couple of companies:

Mac Memory will sell me one ($399) on top of their TurboMax producut (16MHz
68000, 2Meg RAM: $1299)

Levco Prodigy Prime (Fan, New Power Supply, 16Mhz 68020, +1 Meg RAM:
$1995, + $295 for the 68881).

Not what I'm looking for.  All I want is my floating point math to run faster,
not to gut and replace my whole Mac+.  What ever happened to Novy Systems and
Ryad?  Are these folks still around? Do they, or anyone else sell a 68881/
replacement SANE upgrade?
THanks in advance...
                              Dan Graifer
                              graifer@net1.UCSD.EDU
Disclaimer: Nobody ever listens to me anyways; Why should they start now?

jeff@felix.UUCP (05/07/87)

> How can a program determine whether a math coprocessor is installed?
> there any way to tell, besides having the program crash with an F-Line exception?

	You may be able to use the SFC,DFC registers in the 68010/68020 and
the MOVES instruction to access the 68881 directly.  However you'll
likely encounter a BERR exception if the FPU is not there.

--
					  Jeff Wallace
				{decvax,ucbvax}!trwrb!felix!jeff

huxham@apple.UUCP (05/07/87)

In article <gUbYEOy00UhTyME0mz@andrew.cmu.edu> rs4u#@ANDREW.CMU.EDU (Richard Siegel) writes:

>How can a program determine whether a math coprocessor is installed?
>I know that there's a lowmemory global, but CPUFlags only tells
>what kind of main processor is in, and not whether there's a 68881. Is
>there any way to tell, besides having the program crash with an F-Line exception?

In System 4.1 we've added a new function, SysEnvirons();

It fills in a Pascal record with the following information:

1.	Machine Type
2.	System Version
3.	Processor Type
4.	Whether you have an FPU or not
5.	Whether you have color QuickDraw or not
6.	Keyboard type
7.	Version of the AppleTalk drivers running
8.	The WDRefNum (or VRefNum) of the directory of the open System

It is described in a just-about-to-be released Technote.  The call
is expandable, so that in the future, when and if there are more
things an application needs to know about, it can return that information
as well.

Fred

jww@sdcsvax.UCSD.EDU (Joel West) (05/08/87)

Use HwCfgFlags with bitmask $1000; non-zero is 68881 (or other
FPU) present.  Any vendor of a 68881 upgrade will set this bit.
--

dlt@csun.UUCP (05/11/87)

In article <3102@sdcsvax.UCSD.EDU>, graifer@net1.ucsd.edu (Dan Graifer) writes:
> What ever happened to Novy Systems and
> Ryad?  Are these folks still around? Do they, or anyone else sell a 68881/
> replacement SANE upgrade?

There is an ad for Novy in Mays, MacUser.  They were advertising a 68020
board for $595 (if memory serves me) that had a socket for a 68881 fpp.
I don't think I've ever seen a write-up on this board or know if it's
a clip-on or a board mod.  If it's a clip-on and functions well, I'd like
to know about it.

--
Dave Thompson		     uucp:   {ihnp4|hplabs|psivax}!csun!dlt
CSUN Computer Center         phone:  (818) 885-2790

graifer@net1.UUCP (05/13/87)

In article <608@csun.UUCP> dlt@csun.UUCP (Dave Thompson) writes:
>In article <3102@sdcsvax.UCSD.EDU>, graifer@net1.ucsd.edu (Dan Graifer) writes:
>> What ever happened to Novy Systems and
>> Ryad?  Are these folks still around? Do they, or anyone else sell a 68881/
>> replacement SANE upgrade?
>
>There is an ad for Novy in Mays, MacUser. ...68020 board...$595...68881 fpp...
>Dave Thompson		     uucp:   {ihnp4|hplabs|psivax}!csun!dlt
>CSUN Computer Center         phone:  (818) 885-2790
>18111 Nordhoff Street, Northridge, CA 91330

I just went throught the May 1987 issue of MacUser, and cannot find the
referenced advertisement.  Could you post a page number? Thanks

Also, MicroGraphic Images was talking about an fpp upgrade a year ago, but
I haven't heard from them.  They are near you (Dave) in Canoga Park.  You
can call them cheaper than I can. (818)407-0571.