[comp.sys.mac] What dealers can sell MAC II?

tbg@apollo.uucp (Tom Gross) (05/08/87)

I have been to a couple of Apple dealers now to
find out when the MAC II will actually be available.
Both have said "who knows" and are skeptical,
mumbling something about "supposedly July but
I heard something about December".  The second
time I heard this I said, " I just read on usenet
that somebody had spoken to Jean-louis de boogabooga
and he said the MAC IIs were shipping as of last
week".  Then the saleswoman said, "well actually
we won't be authorized to sell MAC IIs anyway."
This makes me suspect the first dealer I visited
won't be selling them either.  So, I thought, how
do I find out what dealers will be selling the MAC II?

I called the apple toll-free numbers and asked what
dealers in the Boston area would be selling the
MAC II.  The woman on the phone proceeded to give
me the address of the second dealer.  I said,
"yeah yeah, NEBA in Plaistow, New Hampshire.
they aren't authorized to sell the MAC II".
She then gave me a toll number in CA that I could
call.  Apple Customer Services.  Maybe they can help.

Does anybody know when the MAC II will really be
available and how one is supposed to find out where
without making a long-distance call?

/tom

jww@sdcsvax.UCSD.EDU (Joel West) (05/09/87)

A couple weeks back I sat at a seminar next to the owner of a local
Computerland franchise.

He said both Apple (Mac II) and IBM (PS/2) were setting more stringent
requirements for dealers to carry their new line, including lots of time-
consuming training.  Another guy said Apple has about 300 (of 2000?)
dealers trained to sell the II and will have 600 by this summer --
but plans no more.

Both, I think, are using the new products as a way to be more selective
about who represents them.  I think they're after high-service operations.

I don't know if it will do any good.  Even the best 'business-oriented'
computer store I've used seemed to know less about PC's and software that
a smart high school student.

mrh@Shasta.STANFORD.EDU (Marc Hannah) (05/13/87)

In article <34be1b8f.ae34@apollo.uucp>, tbg@apollo.uucp (Tom Gross) writes:
> I heard something about December".  The second
> time I heard this I said, " I just read on usenet
> that somebody had spoken to Jean-louis de boogabooga
> and he said the MAC IIs were shipping as of last
> week".  Then the saleswoman said, "well actually
> /tom

   I'm the somebody on Usenet who said they had spoken to Jean Louis Gassee
and here is the stuff I know:
   The Stanford bookstore has already received some small number of production
Mac IIs with no hard disk and monochrome monitor (no color) and the smaller
keyboard. Evidently some developers have also received them. There was an
short piece in the San Jose Mercury News indicating that Apple was shipping
Mac IIs. There is a local ad by an Apple dealer that they will be having a
demo of a Mac II some day within the next few weeks. From all the above I
conclude that there are some MacIIs available but are probably accounted for
and that it isn't clear when the full blown color systems w/hard disks will
be available.
   One general comment...I would believe just about anything I read on these
bboards before I would believe a dealer. I can't believe the number of postings
where people say "I read here that ... but when I talked with the dealer he/she
said ...   I've always been much more impressed with the collective knowledge
of the net than that of the dealers!
David Gelphman   daveg%slacvm.bitnet@forsythe.stanford.edu