[comp.sys.mac] Slow Mac Clock

hans@Shasta.STANFORD.EDU (Hans Mulder) (05/13/87)

I'm puzzled, but convinced that somebody out there can help.

Instead of changing the digit every second, my Mac changes the digit
indicating the seconds every 2.8 seconds. I have no idea when did all
started. I assume that it worked right when I bought it as an original
128K. In the mean time though I upgraded to 2Mbyte (Levco), 800K floppies
and 128K ROM, and a Levco SCSI port + DataFrame 20. The first time I
noticed it, I replaced the battery, but that didn't fix it.

I vaguely recall seeing the problem described before on usenet or INFO-MAC,
but I did not save any replies and t

Does somebody know what is going on? Does somebody have the same experience?
Does somebody have a fix?

All suggestions and pointers welcome.

Hans Mulder
hans@shasta.stanford.edu
{sun,decwrl,hplabs}!shasta!e ves

beloin@batcomputer.tn.cornell.edu (Ron Beloin) (05/14/87)

In article <1612@Shasta.STANFORD.EDU> hans@Shasta.STANFORD.EDU (Hans Mulder) writes:
>I'm puzzled, but convinced that somebody out there can help.
>
>Instead of changing the digit every second, my Mac changes the digit
>indicating the seconds every 2.8 seconds. I have no idea when did all
Once, my mac began keeping 1/3 time. that is, the clock ticked one second
for what seemed to be 3 seconds. Changing the battery had no effect. In
a moment of (brilliance|insanity, you decide) I momentarily (and
purposefully) put the battery in BACKWARDS. Well, it fixed the problem!
No other problems arose as a result. I am not reccommending that *you* do
this, just thought you might be interested.
(but good luck if you do) :-)
 Ron Beloin, Ecosystems Research Center, Corson Hall, Cornell, Ithaca, NY 14850

briand@tekig4.UUCP (05/15/87)

>>Instead of changing the digit every second, my Mac changes the digit
>>indicating the seconds every 2.8 seconds. I have no idea when did all
>Once, my mac began keeping 1/3 time. that is, the clock ticked one second
>for what seemed to be 3 seconds. Changing the battery had no effect. In
>a moment of (brilliance|insanity, you decide) I momentarily (and
>purposefully) put the battery in BACKWARDS. Well, it fixed the problem!
>No other problems arose as a result. I am not reccommending that *you* do
>this, just thought you might be interested.

This is possibly dangerous, though I would expect diode protection on the
circuit. Do YOU want to depend on a $.05 diode to prevent destruction of your
Mac?

You should realize that removing the battery will clear the problem, PROVIDED
you give the circuit enought time to use up all its stored power and drop
voltage. One way is to turn off your mac and remove the battery for about 10
minutes. You can hurry up the process by shorting out the battery terminals
when the battery is out, for about a minute. Do NOT have the Mac on when you
do that, however! Be super safe and unplug the Mac during the process.

You will need to reset all PRAM parameters when you power back up, including
resetting the clock (but that was the original problem, right?) and things like
menu blink count and mouse speed.

Putting in the battery backwards just meant that the battery absorbed all the
stored power in a burst of high battery current. Unneccesary and possibly
harmful to the battery.
--
-Brian Diehm     (SDA - Standard Disclaimers Apply)
Tektronix, Inc.

tim@ism780c.UUCP (Tim Smith) (05/19/87)

<
< You should realize that removing the battery will clear the problem, PROVIDED
< you give the circuit enought time to use up all its stored power and drop
< voltage. One way is to turn off your mac and remove the battery for about 10
< minutes.

My Mac did a similar thing once.  I took out the battery for some reason,
and when I put it back, the clock was very erratic.  It would sometimes
tick once ever 30 seconds or so, and sometimes it would go several
minutes with no ticking.

I took the battery out and left it out ( with the Mac unplugged ) overnight.
This did not fix it.

Solution?  I had AppleCare, so I let my dealer deal with the problem.
He did a board swap.
--
Tim Smith			"And if you want to be me, be me
uucp: sdcrdcf!ism780c!tim	 And if you want to be you, be you