[comp.sys.mac] Why don't some applications work w/HD-20?

wimp@sphinx.uchicago.edu (Jeff Haferman) (05/15/87)

How come some applications (esp ResEdit, but there are a lot of others)
don't work when the Hard Disk is hooked up via the SCSI port?

If I copy the application to a floppy, I can use it on a Mac which doesn't
have a Hard Disk attached.  I thought this may have something to do
with HFS, but both Macs I've tried this on were running under HFS.

So what gives?

--

Jeff Haferman                       Usenet: ...!ihnp4!gargoyle!sphinx!wimp
                                    Bitnet:     wimp%sphinx@UChicago

rs4u#@ANDREW.CMU.EDU (Richard Siegel) (05/15/87)

What?!?!

I've been using many applications, ResEdit included, with a Mac Plus
and an Apple HD 20 SC (the SCSI hard drive).

It's very possible that there's something wrong with your hard disk's
SCSI drivers, in which case running the latest "Apple HD SC Setup"
and clicking "Update" would fix that problem.

	--Rich

Richard M. Siegel
R-Squared Development Systems
134 Horseshoe Drive
Williamsburg, Virginia 23185
(804) 229-2152 [After 6pm eastern time only]

Arpanet: rs4u@andrew.cmu.edu
Uucp: {your fave gateway}!seismo!andrew.cmu.edu!rs4u

Disclaimer? I don't even KNOW 'er!

anson@elrond.CalComp.COM (Ed Anson) (05/19/87)

In article <1694@sphinx.uchicago.edu> wimp@sphinx.UUCP (Jeff Haferman) writes:

>How come some applications (esp ResEdit, but there are a lot of others)
                                 ^^^^^^^
>don't work when the Hard Disk is hooked up via the SCSI port?

That's news to me!  I use ResEdit with my SCSI drive all the time.  If it
really doesn't work, it's about time I found out :-)
   Ed Anson,    Calcomp Display Products Division,    Hudson NH 03051
   (603) 885-8712,      UUCP:  [decvax, wanginst, savax]!elrond!anson
   (Just blame me;  my boss isn't even certain about just what I do.)

afoster@ogcvax.UUCP (Allan Foster) (05/20/87)

In article <sphinx.1694> wimp@sphinx.UUCP (Jeff Haferman) writes:

>How come some applications (esp ResEdit, but there are a lot of others)
>don't work when the Hard Disk is hooked up via the SCSI port?
>
>If I copy the application to a floppy, I can use it on a Mac which doesn't
>have a Hard Disk attached.  I thought this may have something to do
>with HFS, but both Macs I've tried this on were running under HFS.
>
>So what gives?

Huh???  I have never had this problem.  Could it be
a problem with the Apple hd20sc?

I am running  Rodime scsi drive and am not having
any problems at all running resedit which I use
constantly.

Please mail me with your specific setup as well
as the solution.  It sounds interesting.

Allan Foster     ogcvax!afoster