[comp.sys.mac] SE, Mac II keycodes, thanks

earleh@dartvax.UUCP (05/19/87)

     Upon reconsideration, I realized that my previous posting on this
subject may have been a little harsh.  Here is a toned-down version, and
a little more explanation.  Also, thanks to the kind soul who told me
the keycodes.

     It seems to me that the actual factual content of the IM has gone
down since the "Phonebook", or "Promotional Edition".  I realize there
is a lot more material to cover now, but I am unrealistic enough to
expect the information density of these manuals to increase, rather
than decrease, particularly since they are for the present the only
source of information.  I must admit that I became a little peaved at
the first response to my question:

me: "What are the key codes?"
response: "Well, for $20 you can join ADPA, and then you can buy IM5, or
           you can wait for the appropriate TechNote to appear at your
           site..."

     Perhaps I was a little unfair with this person, but it would have
been easy for him to say:  "Oh, and by the way, the keycodes are..."
That's what I would have done.  I also would appreciate it if the folks
at Apple would at least admit that holding down the shift key
invalidates the function of the cursor keys on the Mac+.  Apple still
sells the Mac Plus, as far as I know.  Wouldn't this be a good thing
to include in the owner's manual or in advertisements for the product?

     Thanks again.

Earle

--
            Don't tread on me. /\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\><>'
   The irascible one.

jww@sdcsvax.UCSD.EDU (Joel West) (05/20/87)

In article <6244@dartvax.UUCP>, earleh@dartvax.UUCP (Earle R. Horton) writes:
> me: "What are the key codes?"
> response: "Well, for $20 you can join ADPA, and then you can buy IM5, or
>            you can wait for the appropriate TechNote to appear at your
>            site..."

This might have been me.  If so, maybe it was flip.  On the other hand,
sometimes I get pissed at all the people who expect others to do their
reading for them (in my opinion, anyone who doesn't own or have access
to Inside Mac and the tech notes isn't serious about programming the
mac.) so I offer pointers on where to find the information.

But the real reason, in this case, is that I can't decipher what IM V
says without a real machine in front of me to play around.  Maybe my
reading comprehension is poor.
--
	Joel West
	{ucbvax,ihnp4}!sdcsvax!jww	(ihnp4!gould9!joel if I ever fix news)

tecot@apple.UUCP (Ed Tecot) (05/21/87)

Okay, okay...  Here are the new character codes and keycodes in hexadecimal.
We STRONGLY recommend you use the character code except when it is ambiguous.

Key	Character Code		Key Code
Escape		1B		35
Left Arrow	1C		7B
Right Arrow	1D		7C
Up Arrow	1E		7E
Down Arrow	1F		7D
*		2A		43
+		2B		45
/		2F		4B
=		4D		51

Note that these are the codes you will receive in the event message.  If you
are building hardware, some of these codes are different, so don't rely
on these values for anything else.  All other codes are (unless I forgot
something) the same as on the Mac Plus.

						_emt