[comp.sys.mac] SE Power Supply

schmidt@lsrhs.UUCP (Chris Schmidt) (05/15/87)

I just cracked open one of our new SE's in order to find out whether or not
the new power supply is set up internally to accept 230v (European).  I
found a sticker on the outer metal case surrounding the main assembly which
said:

Input:	115v	~ 	1.2A
	230v	~ 	.75A
	50/60 hz

But nowhere did I find a switch/jumper etc. that would allow the supply to
be switched from one to the other.  Does this mean that it auto configures
and that when I take the beast with me this summer to France I need only
obtain and plug-adapter?  You better believe I want a conclusive answer
before I go!   Any help would be appreciated.  (You listening Apple?)

Thanks in advance.

jww@sdcsvax.UCSD.EDU (Joel West) (05/17/87)

In article <762@lsrhs.UUCP>, schmidt@lsrhs.UUCP (Chris Schmidt) writes:
> I just cracked open one of our new SE's ... I
> found a sticker on the outer metal case surrounding the main assembly which
> said:
>
> Input:	115v	~ 	1.2A
> 	230v	~ 	.75A
> 	50/60 hz

Quoting from the official spec sheet for the SE:
	Line voltage: 90 to 140 volts AC; 170 to 270 volts AC
	Frequency: 47 to 63 hertz
	Maximum power: 100 watts

Knowing Apple, they probably did this because it was more trouble to
manufacture and inventory two types of Macintoshes, so they decided to
build one universal power-supply version.  This is also true of
the Macintosh II; its monitors will also work at 140 to 170 volts,
if you can find an outlet with such a voltage. :-)
--
	Joel West
	{ucbvax,ihnp4}!sdcsvax!jww	(ihnp4!gould9!joel if I ever fix news)

briand@tekig4.TEK.COM (Brian Diehm) (05/18/87)

>Quoting from the official spec sheet for the SE:
>	Line voltage: 90 to 140 volts AC; 170 to 270 volts AC
>	Frequency: 47 to 63 hertz
>	Maximum power: 100 watts

THIS DOES NOT MEAN IT IS SAFE TO PLUG YOUR U.S. MAC INTO A 230V MAIN!!!!!!!!!!!

What this implies is that somewhere internal there is a switch (or solder
jumper, or something) that allows the supply to be set to one of the two
ranges mentioned. It does NOT say that you can plug it into 110V or 220V,
but not 150V. It does say that voltage is the only necessary setting, and
that frequency is not an issue.

I don't know what the SE internals are, that's your disclaimer. I DO know
from experience that this is typical marking of a supply intended to be
switched internally between two or more flavors or power.

--
-Brian Diehm     (SDA - Standard Disclaimers Apply)
Tektronix, Inc.

jww@sdcsvax.UCSD.EDU (Joel West) (05/19/87)

Someone who has an SE can correct me, but there is not external switch.
I sincerely doubt there is an internal switch, from other information I've
seen (the Byte article).
--
	jww@sdcsvax.ucsd.edu	if you must

schmidt@lsrhs.UUCP (Chris Schmidt) (05/21/87)

In article <1504@tekig4.TEK.COM> briand@tekig4.UUCP (Brian Diehm) writes:

>THIS DOES NOT MEAN IT IS SAFE TO PLUG YOUR U.S. MAC INTO A 230V MAIN!!!!!!!!!!!
>
>What this implies is that somewhere internal there is a switch (or solder
>jumper, or something) that allows the supply to be set to one of the two
>ranges mentioned.

But I found no switch or jumper -- and why would Apple use two transformers,
which I did find?

>I don't know what the SE internals are, that's your disclaimer. I DO know
>from experience that this is typical marking of a supply intended to be
>switched internally between two or more flavors or power.

I bow to your greater experience -- but I'm having trouble getting a hard
answer to this question ;>

Chris Schmidt/Lincoln-Sudbury High School/390 Lincoln Rd/Sudbury/Ma/01776
	(617) 926-3242 ----->   mit-caf!lsrhs!schmidt@eddie.mit.edu
(And for you, Mr. NSA Line-Eater: drugs, terrorists, Libya, 1984)