[comp.sys.mac] Picture in SE roms?

kleef@ark.UUCP (05/15/87)

[ ain't that line eater extinct yet? ]

At the Atari Show in London I talked to David Small, the father
of the Magic Sac macintosh emulator for the Atari ST.

On of the things he told me was that he hacked around in the
Mac SE roms and found some code that didn't make any sense.
He was told that that was a picture of the SE development
team. Apparently there was some space available in the roms to
pull such a joke.

1) Is that true?

2) Is there a way of letting that picture appear on the screen?
I have a Mac SE and would very much like to see the picture.
And I think others would be interested too. Best thing for
me would be a small application that would 'pull' the picture
out of the rom and dump it on disk/screen. I gave up programming
after dumping my Apple ][ :)

eer@ritcv.UUCP (Ed Reed) (05/15/87)

In article <1015@ark.cs.vu.nl> kleef@cs.vu.nl (Patrick van Kleef) writes:
>...Mac SE roms and found some code that didn't make any sense.
>He was told that that was a picture of the SE development
>team. Apparently there was some space available in the roms to
>pull such a joke.
>
>1) Is that true?
	looks like it

>2) Is there a way of letting that picture appear on the screen?
	a display routine is included in rom, too...thanks to Scott
	Winders letter to MacTutor this month - on your SE hit your
	interupt switch and type the following: G 41D89A
	Then hit return and sit back to watch the show.  I've tried
	it on a friend's SE and was impressed - three pictures
	are displayed, one after the other, over and over again
	(evidently until you reboot).

Enjoy

Ed Reed - Rochester Institute of Technology
phone:    (716) 334-3006
Delphi:   EERTEST
GEnie:    SQA.INC
Usenet:   ...rochester!ritcv!eer

dgold@apple.UUCP (David Goldsmith) (05/15/87)

In article <1015@ark.cs.vu.nl> kleef@cs.vu.nl (Patrick van Kleef) writes:
>2) Is there a way of letting that picture appear on the screen?
>I have a Mac SE and would very much like to see the picture.
>And I think others would be interested too. Best thing for
>me would be a small application that would 'pull' the picture
>out of the rom and dump it on disk/screen. I gave up programming
>after dumping my Apple ][ :)

1) Enter Macsbug, or the built-in ROM debugger, by hitting the interrupt
   switch.
2) Type G 41D89A, then return.  When you're finished enjoying the show,
   you can ES from Macsbug, or just reboot.  Most of these people also
   worked on the Mac II.
--
David Goldsmith
Apple Computer, Inc.

AppleLink: GOLDSMITH1
UUCP:  {nsc,dual,sun,voder,ucbvax!mtxinu}!apple!dgold
CSNET: dgold@apple.CSNET, dgold%apple@CSNET-RELAY
BIX: dgoldsmith

jww@sdcsvax.UCSD.EDU (Joel West) (05/16/87)

In article <1015@ark.cs.vu.nl>, kleef@cs.vu.nl (Patrick van Kleef) writes:
> He was told that that was a picture of the SE development
> team. Apparently there was some space available in the roms to
> pull such a joke.
>
> 1) Is that true?

yes. less than 200K of the 256K is used.

> 2) Is there a way of letting that picture appear on the screen?

In MacsBug, G 41D89A.  You get a series of pictures.
--
	Joel West
	{ucbvax,ihnp4}!sdcsvax!jww	(ihnp4!gould9!joel if I ever fix news)

roberts@cognos.uucp (Robert Stanley) (05/21/87)

In article <1015@ark.cs.vu.nl> kleef@ark.UUCP writes:

>He was told that that was a picture of the SE development
>team. Apparently there was some space available in the roms to
>pull such a joke.

>1) Is that true?

>2) Is there a way of letting that picture appear on the screen?

Yes it's true, and in fact there are four pictures.  I do not know all the
faces, but suspect that these may be more than just the SE development team(s).

To see these, press the programmer's interrupt switch (the one nearer the rear
of the machine) - you have installed the switch, haven't you?  When the debug
interpreter window opens and presents the > prompt, simply type G 41D89A and
the system will cycle endlessly through the four digitized group mug shots.

Much nicer than the signature on the back of the case (inside, it was), and
leads to the possibility of revising the "signature" with new ROM versions.

You want to stop it?  Either hit the interrupt again, and do your thing, or hit
the reset (that's the one nearer the front of the machine).  Sure is a whole
lot easier to keep those guys straight on my old Lisa :-)

--
Robert Stanley             decvax!utzoo!dciem!nrcaer!cognos!roberts
                    Voice: (613) 738-1440 (on EST) Tuesdays only