[comp.sys.mac] A/UX availability?

olsen@XN.LL.MIT.EDU (Jim Olsen) (05/15/87)

Does anyone have price/delivery information on A/UX yet?
Is it being held up by availability of the 68851 MMU?
--
Jim Olsen	olsen@xn.ll.mit.edu
		...!{mit-eddie,seismo,linus,lll-crg}!ll-xn!olsen

dcw@ecsvax.UUCP (Douglas C. Wilson) (05/18/87)

In article <538@xn.LL.MIT.EDU> olsen@LL-XN.UUCP (Jim Olsen) writes:
>Does anyone have price/delivery information on A/UX yet?
>Is it being held up by availability of the 68851 MMU?

An Apple representative just gave a presentation here last week and
was asked this same question.  He said availability would be probably
October 1 and that delivery was being held up by preparation of the
manuals (6000 pages!). He also said that it had not been decided whether
X-windows would be supported by Apple and distributed at that time or
whether X-windows would be supported by a third party. Price had not
been set.

Douglas C. Wilson	dcw@ecsvax
Dept. of Chemistry	University of NC	Chapel Hill, NC  27514

--

barnett@vdsvax.UUCP (05/19/87)

In article <538@xn.LL.MIT.EDU> olsen@LL-XN.UUCP (Jim Olsen) writes:
>Does anyone have price/delivery information on A/UX yet?

I heard a rumor that it was ~$1000, and required the Scuzzy tape.

If true, then a Mac II with A/UX in a decent configuration
would cost ~$13,000

	What	$$$	Notes
	-------	----	-----
	Mac II	3769
	+2M	 999
	+2M	 999	5 Meg is recommended
	+80M HD	2699	80M disk is recommended
	+Tape	1499
	+video	 499
	+Xkbd	 229	Might as well get the big keyboard
	+HR-RGB	 999	And color
	+MMU     500 (?)
	+A/UX	1000 (?)
	----------------------
	Total	13192	Without the Video expansion and ethernet.

At this price - it will be a long time before I can afford a Mac II
for a home UN*X machine.

I also wonder how effective they will be competing against the
"Big Boys" e.g. Sun.

Anyone want to place bets on the relative speed of File I/O of a
Mac II vs. a Sun?

Anyone have any benchmarks?

--
	Bruce G. Barnett		| (barnett@ge-crd.arpa)
========================================| (barnett@steinmetz.UUCP)

petel@teksce.SCE.TEK.COM (Pete Lancashire) (05/21/87)

In article <1519@vdsvax.steinmetz.UUCP>, barnett@vdsvax.steinmetz.UUCP (Bruce G Barnett) writes:

> Anyone want to place bets on the relative speed of File I/O of a
> Mac II vs. a Sun?

The MAC II has two things going against it. First no DMA and worst, for
UNIX the SCSI chip's (NCR 5380) interrupt line is not connected.

Pete Lancashire
Tektronix, Inc.
petel@teksce.SCE.TEK.COM

gustav@swanee.UUCP (05/22/87)

In article <1519@vdsvax.steinmetz.UUCP>, barnett@vdsvax.steinmetz.UUCP (Bruce G Barnett) writes:
> I heard a rumor that it was ~$1000, and required the Scuzzy tape.
> If true, then a Mac II with A/UX in a decent configuration
> would cost ~$13,000:
> 	Mac II	3769
> 	+2M	 999
> 	+2M	 999	5 Meg is recommended
> 	+80M HD	2699	80M disk is recommended
> 	+Tape	1499
> 	+video	 499
> 	+Xkbd	 229	Might as well get the big keyboard
> 	+HR-RGB	 999	And color
> 	+MMU     500 (?)
> 	+A/UX	1000 (?)

5 Meg may be recommended, but is it indeed necessary? We used to run
4.2BSD on VAX11/750 with 2 Meg only and 30 users (at times). Not that
you could do anything serious, but at least you could log in (on a
good day). So, I believe that you could run it quite well with just
2 Meg. Also, I think that you should be able to use 40 Meg disk too.
After all it is possible to run Xenix even on 20 Meg disks. Then, if
you cut down on colour, the big keyboard, tape (is it indeed
absolutely necessary?) and become a strict vegetarian you may be just
able to make it. Have faith. Apple brought computers to our homes, now
is the time for them to bring UNIX. (Or is NEXT going to be the
FIRST?)

   ARPA :    gustav%swanee.oz@seismo.css.gov
   UUCP :    ...!{seismo,mcvax,ucb-vision,uks}!munnari!swanee.oz!gustav

dgold@apple.UUCP (David Goldsmith) (05/23/87)

In article <422@teksce.SCE.TEK.COM> petel@teksce.SCE.TEK.COM (Pete Lancashire) writes:
>The MAC II has two things going against it. First no DMA and worst, for
>UNIX the SCSI chip's (NCR 5380) interrupt line is not connected.

It's true that the Mac II does not have DMA built in, but I believe you are
wrong about the interrupt line.  I believe that both the Mac SE and the Mac II
have the interrupt line for the SCSI chip connected and available for use.
--
David Goldsmith
Apple Computer, Inc.

AppleLink: GOLDSMITH1
UUCP:  {nsc,dual,sun,voder,ucbvax!mtxinu}!apple!dgold
CSNET: dgold@apple.CSNET, dgold%apple@CSNET-RELAY
BIX: dgoldsmith

jww@sdcsvax.UCSD.EDU (Joel West) (05/26/87)

As of 3/87, Apple said A/UX required 2Mb, the 68851 and 40Mb of disk,
although 5Mb, 80Mb and the tape is preferred.  I've heard conflicting
rumors about whether you MUST have the tape.  I mean, Apple is beta
testing the A/UX now and nobody has those tape drives.  On the other
hand, as the rumor goes, if you don't have the tape, you take your
hard disk down to the local Apple dealer to have him install A/UX.
(Would you want to install 40 floppies?)
--
	Joel West
	{ucbvax,ihnp4}!sdcsvax!jww	(ihnp4!gould9!joel if I ever fix news)