[comp.sys.mac] Microsoft Word V3.0 and its menu bar...

harrow@exodus.dec.com (Jeff Harrow, NCSE BXB1-2/E02 DTN=293-5128) (05/18/87)

Has anyone  noticed  that  Microsoft Word V3.0's handeling of the
menu bar is a bit strange?

I've noticed that  the  MenuTime  DA  does  not update (flash its
colon) under many conditions until you hit a key.

Additionally, when Apple's new  EasyAccess  (a  standard  way  to
create  "sticky"  option/command/shift  keys)   is  enabled,  the
special icon that it places  at the right side of the menu bar is
not always updated correctly.

Yet another anomaly is that with AutoCursor installed, the cursor
tends  to  stay  in the Watch mode even  though  the  program  IS
waiting for user input.

Was this "non-standardness" really necessary, and is there a fix?

Jeff Harrow

Work address:
ARPAnet:	HARROW%EXODUS.DEC@decwrl.ARPA
Usenet:		decwrl!exodus.dec.com!harrow        or
                {allegra,Shasta,decvax}!decwrl!dec-rhea!dec-exodus!harrow
Easynet:	EXODUS::HARROW
Telephone:	(617)264-5128
USPS:		Digital Equipment Corp.
		Mail stop: BXB1-2/E02
		85 Swanson Road
		Boxboro, MA  01719

jlc@goanna.oz (J.L Cybulski) (05/20/87)

In article <9946@decwrl.DEC.COM>, harrow@exodus.dec.com (Jeff Harrow, NCSE BXB1-2/E02 DTN=293-5128) writes:
> Has anyone  noticed  that  Microsoft Word V3.0's handeling of the
> menu bar is a bit strange?
>
> I've noticed that  the  MenuTime  DA  does  not update (flash its
> colon) under many conditions until you hit a key.

Yes, I noticed that many DAs are not behaving normally under Word 3.0.
Eg. MacLightning, MenuTime, and others. Everything seems to be delayed
by Word 3.0. Word must be capturing and buffering all the events in
its local queue waiting for most appropriate moment for their processing.
This obviously has some nasty side effects on software that needs to be
regularly updated.
							Jacob	o | o
								 \_/

levin@cc5.bbn.com.UUCP (05/26/87)

In article <9946@decwrl.DEC.COM> harrow@exodus.dec.com (Jeff Harrow, NCSE BXB1-2/E02 DTN=293-5128) writes:
>Has anyone  noticed  that  Microsoft Word V3.0's handeling of the
>menu bar is a bit strange?
>
>I've noticed that  the  MenuTime  DA  does  not update (flash its
>colon) under many conditions until you hit a key.
>
>Additionally, when Apple's new  EasyAccess  (a  standard  way  to
>create  "sticky"  option/command/shift  keys)   is  enabled,  the
>special icon that it places  at the right side of the menu bar is
>not always updated correctly.

Word 3.0 is continually writing either a blank or an "N" to the right
end of the menu bar to show whether your keypad is in Numeric or funny
cursor key mode.  Interferes with JClock, too.  Grumble.

--

UUCP: {harvard, husc6, etc.}!bbn!levin
ARPA: levin@bbn.com