[comp.sys.mac] Jasmine is <<<OK>>>

hunt@rsts32.dec.com (Phil Hunt) (05/23/87)

<Burp!>

<Lawrence A. Dziegielewski writes:>

>>I have had nothing but trouble with Jasmine.  I'm on my 3rd 80 meg drive
>>and the third new ROM for the drive.  I have also been to see their
>>operation, and the assessment abou the tech assembling from a crowded table
>>is right.  They rarely test the drives that go out to customers. According to a
>>Jasmine person, "If we can copy PD software on the drive, it must be
>>ok!"......

As far as i know, Jasmine drives are very reliable.  I got one of the first
Jasmine 80 meg drives (back in February), it came up when plugged in and has
run flawlessly ever since.  No new ROMs needed, no new drives etc.  And, yes
writing the PD stuff IS a good test, because they have to FORMAT the drive,
make it a Mac disk and write 13 meg of stuff to it!!!!  Seems like a good use
test to me!!!

Also, ALOT of people have said that the Jasmines are performing flawlessly.
LOTS of PEOPLE!!!  My first inclination of the above user is that HE has a
problem at his site, like low voltage or high voltage power or something like
that.

BTW, the PD stuff was as new as it could be back in February.  I don't know if
they have kept it updated since I got my drive.....

Phil Hunt

lad@eplrx7.UUCP (05/27/87)

In article <9999@decwrl.DEC.COM>, hunt@rsts32.dec.com (Phil Hunt) writes:
> <Burp!>
>
> <Lawrence A. Dziegielewski writes:>
>
> >>I have had nothing but trouble with Jasmine.  I'm on my 3rd 80 meg drive
[some deleted...]

> As far as i know, Jasmine drives are very reliable.  I got one of the first
> Jasmine 80 meg drives (back in February), it came up when plugged in and has
> run flawlessly ever since.  No new ROMs needed, no new drives etc.  And, yes
> writing the PD stuff IS a good test, because they have to FORMAT the drive,
> make it a Mac disk and write 13 meg of stuff to it!!!!  Seems like a good use
> test to me!!!
Sorry,  but just being able to format the drive and copy stuff over to it is
NOT a good test of wether the drive is going to work in the field.  The
software written for the drive has to handle bad blocking,  soft errors,
CRC checking and a host of other things that can happen to a drive.  Just
being able to copy software to the drive dosen't tell me squat about the
drive.

I have been designing and building Mac hardware for 2-1/2 years now,  and
I'd never send anything out the door without through testing.  It is
inexcuseable the way Jasmine handles theirt QC.

> Also, ALOT of people have said that the Jasmines are performing flawlessly.
> LOTS of PEOPLE!!!  My first inclination of the above user is that HE has a
> problem at his site, like low voltage or high voltage power or something like
> that.

I also realize that 'LOTS' of people have perfectly working Jasmine drives,
but on the other hand,  there are LOTS of dead Jasmine drives out thete as
well.

I have three Macs and 4 'breadboard test systems', (skin-less Macs used to
test things),  and every other drive we use there,  (and we have several),
work fine.  I have a filtered and protected AC line run to our offices as
well as to our bench,  so we have totally ruled out low voltage,  spikes,
etc.  Our Macs are also in prefect working condition.

That what I get for buying mail-order from a sleaze-oid outfit.

Never,  never again....

        Lawrence A. Dziegielwski                E.I. DuPont Co.
        UUCP: {dgis, psuvax1}!eplrx7!lad        Engineering Physics Lab
        GENIE:  LARRY.DSKI                      Wilm, DE
        Cash-We-Serve:  76127,104
        MCIMAIL: idt
        MABELL: (302) 695-7719