[comp.sys.mac] Computersaurus

straka@ihlpf.ATT.COM (Straka) (05/19/87)

In article <2708@cit-vax.Caltech.Edu> woody@tybalt.caltech.edu.UUCP (William Edward Woody) writes:
>So?  Remember y'all when 4K was a lot of memory, and you simply hadn't
>the foggiest idea what to do with all that memory when you finally
>shelled out the money for 16K?  And now here we are, complaining because
>our personal computer has less than 4,096K memory in it...

I remember in the "dark ages" of 1977, that I saw a high-schooler
running a chess program in a small competition at the first West Coast
Computer Faire.  He was running an 8080 with:
1) ONE 2708 (1KByte) EPROM for program storage

2) about 1KByte of RAM (8-2102s, I think)
3) No peripherals except for LED output and a "hex pad" for input
4) All on a little ~5x8 proto-board
And yes, it REALLY was playing chess.  I wonder what he's doing today.

Oh, by the way, does anybody remember core, (and I mean REAL core)?
Sorry for cluttering up this newsgroup, but I couldn't resist!
--
Rich Straka     ihnp4!ihlpf!straka

Advice for the day: "MSDOS - just say no."

waltervj@dartvax.UUCP (05/27/87)

---

core?..  core??...  CORE!!!  ah, the memories...

my first personal computer, so young and sweet, Kim-1 she was called, i think...

my but it's been a long time...   Kim was thin, weighing in at 256 bytes (yes,
that's bytes, not kilo-, or mega-bytes) of RAM.  but I loved to stroker her firm
little hex keypad and watch her eight LED digits flash.  We made some beautiful
machine code together...

of course, she didn't have core.  she wasn't a brute after all!  But, I have
a pane of core from some extinct mainframe in a draw at home...

Thanx for the memories!  -walter.