[comp.sys.mac] Font ID changing

steig@batcomputer.UUCP (05/19/87)

In article <3086@well.UUCP> tswift@well.UUCP (Theodore John Swift) writes:
>In an effort to find an unused font ID number for a new font I'd designed
>("Woodside", to appear soon in .mac.binaries), I went through the task of
>listing (a bunch of) fonts by name and by ID number. The new Font/DA
>Movers now transparently change font ID's to avoid conflict, ...
            ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Are you sure about this?  If the new Font/DA mover indeed changes the IDs of
fonts, without notifying the user, then there is a potential for
compatibility problems.  If you take a font with, let's say, ID 230, and you
install it in a System file with no existing FONT 230, then, no problem.
But if you install it into a System file that already has FONT 230 it it,
then the ID of the newly installed font will be changed.  Documents
formatted under this System in the newly-installed font will appear in a
different font when displayed under the other System, and documents
formatted under the system that has the font intact will be displayed in the
font with same ID (which is a different font) under the System with the
conflicting fonts.
--
|Mark J. Steiglitz          |Bitnet: steig@crnlthry, araj@crnlvax5            |
|USnail: 3626 Dickson Hall  |Arpanet: steig@tcgould.tn.cornell.edu            |

jww@sdcsvax.UCSD.EDU (Joel West) (05/20/87)

The Font/DA mover has done this for at least a year, ever since
Apple realized there were too many PD fonts out there without
enough unique slots.

Moral: use GetFNum to look up by name.
--
	Joel West
	{ucbvax,ihnp4}!sdcsvax!jww	(ihnp4!gould9!joel if I ever fix news)

sbb@esquire.UUCP (Stephen B. Baumgarten) (05/20/87)

:
>The new Font/DA Mover changes font IDs to avoid conflicts, thereby creating
     ~~~
>Systems under which the same document looks different (because font 230 in
>System 1 has been changed by the F/DA Mover to font 320 in System 2)...
:
Font/DA Mover 3.2 does this too, and it's always been a problem, since
it doesn't tell you that there was a conflict.  I guess Apple chose what it
believed to be the lesser of 2 evils (the greater being not allowing you to
install certain combinations of fonts in the same System).  Still, I think it
would be better if it put up some sort of alert and at least gave you the
option of changing font IDs or aborting the operation.

- Steve

wert@titan.rice.edu@rice.EDU (Scott Comer) (05/28/87)

You are supposed to save font name/size info in documents, not font
numbers. Font numbers have always been a no-no, and anyone with any sense
can figure out that font numbers are system file specific, while font
names/sizes are portable.

Just think about what would happen if we all started saving fRefNums to
access files instead of using their names? After all, if I close it and
then open it again, won't it have the same fRefNum? Use you head... And
use the durn font name. That's why its there.

scott out