[comp.sys.mac] MacServe w/4.1 System

jmvm@oakhill.UUCP (John VanMunster) (05/30/87)

In article <262@trwspf.TRW.COM> vito@trwspf.UUCP (Herb Barad) writes:
>Finder 5.5 was paired with the new System 4.1.  I can't use 4.1 due
>to some strange bugs with MacServe (I don't think it is patchable via
>the famous 02B6 to 0A78 patch).  I must stay at system 4.0.
>
>The question is, can I still use Finder 5.5, or must I go back
>to 5.4 (the one that came with system 4.0).

I have just now "fixed" my system 4.1/5.5 to work with MacServe properly. I
contemplated the same solution as Herb but decided that in the long run it
would be better to go with the newer stuff and properly paired. The fix is
in increasing the System heap size. As I'm also running InterMail and some
other INITs, I increased it to $01800 (using Fedit - edit boot blocks) from
the default $01000). You might not want to increase it that much. Also, I
removed Apple's Easy Access INIT - that might not mean anything but when I was
using it previous to increasing the heap I had the most problems.

With sys 4.1 the heap is dynamically sized when INIT 31 loads INITs. MacServe
moves INIT 31 to INIT 131 and adds their own 31 when you install it. Obviously
they're not doing something the same as Apple.

Hope this helps - Good Luck

--
John VanMunster, Motorola Inc., OakHill, Tx.
     {harvard,ihnp4,seismo,gatech,nbires}..!ut-sally!oakhill!jmvm   (uucp)

Disclaimer: The views contained herein are my own, not those of my employer or
the administration of any computer sytem which I may be currently using.