[comp.sys.mac] WARNING--512K UPGRADE!!!

cl1x#@andrew.cmu.edu (Chin-Yo Kenny Lin) (04/25/87)

ReSent-From: postman#@andrew.cmu.edu

ReSent-To: nntp-xmit#@andrew.cmu.edu

To: outnews#ext.nn.comp.sys.mac@andrew.cmu.edu

A sob story:
	I went to my local Apple dealer (on campus) for a drive upgrade on my
512K Mac, originally a 128K modified via 3rd party.  The 512K upgrade worked
GREAT!  I even had it running a ramdisk for 24 hours at a time without
trouble!
	The sad part:  the friendly dealer said to me, "Ken, you know, we've
got a problem.  Your 512K upgrade was third party.  We installed the upgrade
and it works fine.  We can even test it out now if you want.  But we can't
warranty the upgrade.  This is Apple talking here."
	So I asked, "no warranty even on the drive itself?"
	"Nope." he said.
	To make a long story short, it is official Apple policy (I think we
all know by now, although it seems kinda new to me) that once the board has
been touched by non-Apple hands, any Apple upgrades made on it cannot be
guaranteed.  The friendly dealer posessed by the demon Apple proceeded to
have me sign the work order saying that I accept that the upgrade is not
under a warranty.  Knowing that the warranty period is but a real long 90
days (my 512K upgrade was warranted for 180 days!!!), I proceeded to sign it.
If it dies, it will probably do so after the warranty anyway.

Flame on:

COME ON, WORM (I mean Apple)!!  Just where do you get off?  If the ROM itself
was defective, it would not be warranted????

And how about the drive???  Just what can the "unoffical" upgrade do to a
drive?  The only thing I've seen doing dirty deeds with the drive is SOFTWARE
(all you CMU people know what I'm talking about--A certain software package
used in Intro that eats disks for dessert).

Are you people at WORM (sorry, I'm just not typing well today) trying to suck
up more money from empty college bank accounts all over????

HOWZABOUT YOUR WARRANTY PERIOD??  Huh???  Do you intentionally make it so
short so as to take advantage of people's fears and boost your sale of
WormCare???

Flame off.

I'm still waiting for a 512K==>1Mb Dove upgrade from Programs Plus.  I don't
have a HyperDrive to worry about, so I hope it will work out well.  As usual,
I will relate any negative or positive experiences to the net.

---Ken

Arpa, Bitnet:  cl1x@andrew.cmu.edu
UUCP:  {your favorite gateway}!seismo!andrew.cmu.edu!cl1x

DISCLAIMER:  If anyone besides Apple (typed it right this time) was insulted,
it was not by intention.

myers@uwmacc.UUCP (Jeff Myers) (04/26/87)

> 	To make a long story short, it is official Apple policy (I think we
> all know by now, although it seems kinda new to me) that once the board has
> been touched by non-Apple hands, any Apple upgrades made on it cannot be
> guaranteed.  The friendly dealer posessed by the demon Apple proceeded to
> have me sign the work order saying that I accept that the upgrade is not
> under a warranty.  Knowing that the warranty period is but a real long 90
> days (my 512K upgrade was warranted for 180 days!!!), I proceeded to sign it.
> If it dies, it will probably do so after the warranty anyway.

This is pretty standard stuff...it's to discourage tinkering and encourage
sale of official Apple upgrades.  Now with the MacII, upgrades are
encouraged because all you have to do is plug things in slots.  Should it
have been done that way in the first place?  Probably, but Apple is moving
in the right direction.

You might have tried refusing to sign the amendation.  You had no legal
obligation to sign.  Would they have refused to upgrade without the
signature?

> COME ON, WORM (I mean Apple)!!  Just where do you get off?  If the ROM itself
> was defective, it would not be warranted????
>
> And how about the drive???  Just what can the "unoffical" upgrade do to a
> drive?  The only thing I've seen doing dirty deeds with the drive is SOFTWARE
> (all you CMU people know what I'm talking about--A certain software package
> used in Intro that eats disks for dessert).

First, if something is wrong with the ROMs it will almost always be
immediately apparent.  Second, most drive problems will be apparent quite
early as well.

I'm not certain if Apple's remedy limitation would stand up in court if
you did not explicitly agree to it, if it could be easily proven that
the merchandise was defective.  Of course, you would probably need the
aid of a law student or better to force your point of view.  The Uniform
Commercial Code is a wonderful thing...

> Are you people at WORM (sorry, I'm just not typing well today) trying to suck
> up more money from empty college bank accounts all over????

Um, I for one am quite glad that Apple gives the quite substantial
educational discounts that they do -- for instance, an SE here at the
UW costs a mere $1700, $1200 off retail.  How are the discounts at
Carnegie-Mellon?  Lighten up and pray that nothing breaks... ;-)

> HOWZABOUT YOUR WARRANTY PERIOD??  Huh???  Do you intentionally make it so
> short so as to take advantage of people's fears and boost your sale of
> WormCare???

Perhaps this is why it is so short, but electronics problems are almost
universally going to show up early.  The drive is a slightly different
story, given Apple's early problems with the 800K drives breaking down, but
they again tended to break down fairly early.

> I'm still waiting for a 512K==>1Mb Dove upgrade from Programs Plus.  I don't
> have a HyperDrive to worry about, so I hope it will work out well.  As usual,
> I will relate any negative or positive experiences to the net.

If I were you (which I am in a way, having a 512KE), I'd go immediately for
a 2M upgrade with SCSI port thrown in.  I'm waiting for a SuperMac Enhance
upgrade, which is six weeks overdue.  Anyone out there from SuperMac
listening?  Has production slowed because you were purchased by a bigger
corporation?  Concentrating on producing MacII products?

Cheers, Jeff M.UUCP

cccack@ucdavis.UUCP (David Ackerman) (04/27/87)

*** REPLACE THIS LINE WITH YOUR...(Sorry, a system error has occurred.) ***

> A sob story:
> 	I went to my local Apple dealer (on campus) for a drive upgrade on my
> 512K Mac, originally a 128K modified via 3rd party.  The 512K upgrade worked
> GREAT!  I even had it running a ramdisk for 24 hours at a time without
> trouble!
> 	The sad part:  the friendly dealer said to me, "Ken, you know, we've
> got a problem.  Your 512K upgrade was third party.  We installed the upgrade
> and it works fine.  We can even test it out now if you want.  But we can't
> warranty the upgrade.  This is Apple talking here."
> 	So I asked, "no warranty even on the drive itself?"
> 	"Nope." he said.
> 	To make a long story short, it is official Apple policy (I think we
> all know by now, although it seems kinda new to me) that once the board has
> been touched by non-Apple hands, any Apple upgrades made on it cannot be
> guaranteed.  The friendly dealer posessed by the demon Apple proceeded to
> have me sign the work order saying that I accept that the upgrade is not
> under a warranty.  Knowing that the warranty period is but a real long 90
> days (my 512K upgrade was warranted for 180 days!!!), I proceeded to sign it.
> If it dies, it will probably do so after the warranty anyway.
>
> [flame deleted]

   Whether or not this is "official" Apple policy (which I'm not totally sure
it is) should not be the issue here. The dealers should still have some
responsibility toward their customers, and honor the warranty anyway. I have a
MacMemory 2 meg, which I have never had any trouble with. I got my drive/ROM
upgrade from Computer Selection in SF, and the they handled the 3rd party
problem in this manner: *I* had to unplug and re-install the daughter board
(since it covers the ROMs). They refused to touch it. However, they did the
remainder of the upgrade procedure, and the part I had to do was simple, and
easy to follow from the MacMemory manual. In addition, I did not have to sign
anything saying my warranty was void, and had anything happened to either the
drive or the ROMs during those first 90 days, I'm sure they would have repaired
it.

   Basically, it just seems that you either need to find an honest, ethical
dealer, or force your current dealer to be one whether they like it or not. :-)

> ---Ken

                                  David Ackerman
                          University of California, Davis

                 ...!{ucbvax,lll-crg}!ucdavis!deneb!cccack  (UUCP)
                  ucdavis!deneb!cccack@ucbvax.berkeley.edu  (ARPA)
                                        drackerman@ucdavis  (BITNET)

DIS: is to dat, as disclaimer is to datclaimer.

espen@well.UUCP (Peter Espen) (04/27/87)

In article <MS.V3.18.cl1x.80022e03.dorrance.ibm032.1842.0@andrew.cmu.edu>, cl1x#@andrew.cmu.edu (Chin-Yo Kenny Lin) writes:

> A sob story:
> 	I went to my local Apple dealer (on campus) for a drive upgrade on my
> 512K Mac, originally a 128K modified via 3rd party.  The 512K upgrade worked
> GREAT!  I even had it running a ramdisk for 24 hours at a time without
> trouble!
> 	The sad part:  the friendly dealer said to me, "Ken, you know, we've
> got a problem.  Your 512K upgrade was third party.  We installed the upgrade
> and it works fine.  We can even test it out now if you want.  But we can't
> warranty the upgrade.  This is Apple talking here."
> 	So I asked, "no warranty even on the drive itself?"
> 	"Nope." he said.
> COME ON, WORM (I mean Apple)!!  Just where do you get off?  If the ROM itself
> was defective, it would not be warranted????
>
> And how about the drive???  Just what can the "unoffical" upgrade do to a
> drive?  The only thing I've seen doing dirty deeds with the drive is SOFTWARE

        Once a non-Apple upgrade or mod is done to your Mac your Apple
warranty is voided, that's true. But that doesn't prevent your WIMPY Apple
DEALER from covering the 128K ROMS and 800K drive for the 90 day period. If
the 128K ROMS or 800K drive did fail within that time frame, all your dealer
would need to do is pull out the defective drive and/or 128K ROMS put in a
good set and return the defective parts to APPLE for credit. Apple would have
no way of knowing what sort of Mac those parts had been in. Sounds to me like
you DEALER is using Apple's warranty policy as an excuse to give you the shaft!@
        I guess I am just fortunate to have a reasonable, knowledgable dealer
here in San Francisco.
        This is just another example that I've seen on the net recently, of
people flaming off at Apple when actually they are getting the run around
and the old shaft from their DEALERS!! An Apple dealer and APPLE are NOT one
in the same!!

wetter@tybalt.caltech.edu (Pierce T. Wetter) (04/27/87)

    Apple's position of not warranting the upgrade is entirely reasonable in
the face of the variety of upgrades avaiable. If Apple warrantied all upgrades
produced by third parties they would have to be approved, checked, and rechecked
Since a 128k -> 512K upgrade involves cutting a trace and running two more
chip select lines it is doubtful Apple would be able to certify any.
   You say in your article that if the rom was bad it should still be under
warrenty, likewise with the disk drive. What if one of the parts from the
upgrade went bad in such a way as to toast your new rom and disk drive? Whose
responsibility is it to fix the rom + disk drive?
   In conclusion, not warranting the upgrade is not a fiendish attempt to
suck money from college students, rather apple is only not taking responsibility
for things they aren't responsible for.
  Pierce Wetter

	Deck Us All With Boston Charlie

Deck us all with Boston Charlie,
Walla Walla, Wash., an' Kalamazoo!
Nora's freezin' on the trolley,
Swaller dollar cauliflower, alleygaroo!

Don't we know archaic barrel,
Lullaby Lilla Boy, Louisville Lou.
Trolley Molly don't love Harold,
Boola boola Pensacoola hullabaloo!
		-- Walt Kelly

wetter@tybalt.caltech.edu

ado@elsie.UUCP (Arthur David Olson) (04/27/87)

> If the 128K ROMS or 800K drive did fail within that time frame,
> all your dealer would need to do is pull out the defective drive and/or
> 128K ROMS put in a good set and return the defective parts to APPLE for
> credit.  Apple would have no way of knowing what sort of Mac those parts
> had been in.

Yes, the dealer might get away with the fraud described above;
no, that does not make it right.
--
	UUCP: ..seismo!elsie!ado	   ARPA: elsie!ado@seismo.CSS.GOV
	     Elsie and Ado are trademarks of Borden, Inc. and Ampvent

rick@uwmacc.UUCP (the absurdist) (04/27/87)

In article <384@ucdavis.UUCP> cccack@ucdavis.UUCP (David Ackerman) writes:
>> 	To make a long story short, it is official Apple policy (I think we
>> all know by now, although it seems kinda new to me) that once the board has
>> been touched by non-Apple hands, any Apple upgrades made on it cannot be
>> guaranteed.

I don't know of any computer company that *will* warranty their machine after
you've taken a knife to their boards.  Pre-Mac SE and MacII upgrades are
either clip-ons (i.e.  the Hyperdrive) or board modifications.  Apple
began endorsing a limited # of clip-on mods almost immediately after
Steve Jobs left (with, of course, the Hyperdrive being the #1 endorsed
add on).  If your upgrade was a solder trace cut job, you are probably
out of luck; if it involved only a clip-on, pressure your dealer to check
with Apple.
--
Rick Keir -- one floor up from the Oyster Tank -- UWisc - Madison
{allegra, ihnp4, seismo}!uwvax!uwmacc!rick

curry@nsc.UUCP (04/28/87)

Sorry people, but when are these people going to grow up.  If you modify
anything including your family automobile, the warranty is voided.  Apple
can not possibly test and monitor every third party upgrade to make sure
that quality workmanship is done.  Therefore they can not be sure that it
won't cause power supply or heating problems that will damage the ROM or
drive.  If you have to save a few bucks, you have to be willing to assume
total responsibility for the product.  A reworked board is never as reliable
as a new one.  Just look at the number of complaints on the net about third
party upgrades.  Now imagine Apple trying to remain profitable when servicing
warranties where the problem is most likely caused by a product that they
neither made or installed.  Not only would they have to fix faulty drives,
but would have to spend time finding problems caused by the third party
stuff that worked with the old but not with the new.

espen@well.UUCP (Peter Espen) (04/29/87)

In article <7396@elsie.UUCP>, ado@elsie.UUCP (Arthur David Olson) writes:
> > If the 128K ROMS or 800K drive did fail within that time frame,
> > all your dealer would need to do is pull out the defective drive and/or
> > 128K ROMS put in a good set and return the defective parts to APPLE for
> > credit.  Apple would have no way of knowing what sort of Mac those parts
> > had been in.
>
> Yes, the dealer might get away with the fraud described above;
> no, that does not make it right.
> --

	What makes you think this is fraud?? Apple does not honor
the warranty on anything that is modified by a non-apple modification. That
means if you do a third party upgrade to your Mac,then the motherboard, power
supply, etc. are no longer covered under the Apple's warranty. This does not
prevent a REASONABLE dealer from covering a 128K ROM and/or 800K drive that
fail within the warranty period for those parts.

stevel@dartvax.UUCP (04/29/87)

I had our shop ask Apple Technical Support (via AppleLink) about
the warranty of a disk/ROM upgrade in a 3rd party-ed Mac. Here's
the answer:

  The warranty for the Drive and ROM kit upgrade is simply for the
  upgraded parts, not the logic board, power supply, etc. whether
  there are third party parts installed or not.  If there are
  problems, they must be demonstrated on a non-third-party unit
  with the customer's parts installed before the warranty would
  apply to the ROMs and the disk drive.  In other words, Apple
  does not warrant that the upgrade will be compatible with
  someone else's modification to our computer, so you may want to
  test te drive and ROM on another system before letting the
  customer have them.
--
     Steve Ligett  stevel@dartmouth.edu  or
(astrovax cornell decvax harvard ihnp4 linus true)!dartvax!stevel

jsp@unccvax.UUCP (Joel Patterson) (05/05/87)

In article <7396@elsie.UUCP>, ado@elsie.UUCP (Arthur David Olson) writes:
> > If the 128K ROMS or 800K drive did fail within that time frame,
> > all your dealer would need to do is pull out the defective drive and/or
> > 128K ROMS put in a good set and return the defective parts to APPLE for
> > credit.  Apple would have no way of knowing what sort of Mac those parts
> > had been in.
>
> Yes, the dealer might get away with the fraud described above;
> no, that does not make it right.
> --

The following is from the "Apple Service Programs" manual:

from page 6.1, paragraph 4 under the heading:

"Summary of APPLE Warranty Statements"

" Modifications, (other than those listed on page 6.2), and damage
caused by misuse or accident will void the warranty unless it is clear
that there is no relation between the modification and the product
failure.  A module shipped to Apple will be returned to the dealer if
it has been modified, altered, or made unfit for the 'exchange pool.'"

from page 6.2 paragraph 3 under the heading:

"Acceptable Modifications"

  "3.  General Computer's Hyperdrive 10 and Hyperdrive 20 for the
       Macintosh."

from page 8.1.4 under the heading:

"MACINTOSH"

 "Non-Apple Ugrades     (announced June 85)"

"Third party defelopers offer internal hardware modifications such
as homebrew MEMORY UPGRADES, COMPOSITE VIDEO PORTS and some HARD DISK
DRIVES.  APPLE WILL NOT HONOR WARRANTY OR APPLECARE CALIMS FOR ANY
MACINTOSH SYSTEM WHICH HAS UNDERGONE ANY OF THESE MODIFICATIONS.
IN ADDITION, MODULES WHICH HAVE BEEN MODIFIED OR ALTERED ARE NOT
ELIGIBLE FOR EXCHANGE.  Any altered modules received by Apple will
be returned to the dealer.  It is important that you identify altered
parts and insure proper customer billing to avoid costly mistakes."

"Boards which have been modified show signs of poor craftsmanship
and soldering in the RAM and 68000 Microprocessor areas.  Unmodified
solder connections will appear consistent from component to component."

"However, the recently introduced 'clip' version of Hyperdrive will
NOT void Apple's 90-day limited warranty or AppleCare coverage IF
PROPERLY INSTALLED BY AN AUTHORIZED APPLE DEALER OR BY GENERAL
COMPUTER.  The 'Clip' attaches the Hyperdrive controller board to the
Macintosh's 68000 microprocessor without modification of the
Macintosh Logic Board.  This applies both to the 10 Mbyte and 20
Mbyte Hyperdrive products."

End of Quote
The above material is Copyright 1983 by Apple Computer, Inc.

From this we can say that 'modules' (disk drives, ROMs, logic boards,
power supplies, etc.) that have not been altered may be repaired under
warranty unless any non covered modification caused the failure. If you
have a clip on upgrade, it should be removed _before_ taking the system
in for warranty repair, upgrade, etc., unless previously approved by your
dealer.

The dealer that would not cover his own work because of the modification
was indeed shafting the customer.  He should have made it clear that it
would not be covered if the modification was at fault or contributed to
the failure.

Macintosh is a trademark licensed to Apple Computer, Inc. by
McIntosh Laboratories.
Hyperdrive is a trademark of General Computer, Inc.

#include <disclaimer.h>

dgold@apple.UUCP (05/05/87)

In article <700@unccvax.UUCP> jsp@unccvax.UUCP (Joel Patterson) writes:
>Macintosh is a trademark licensed to Apple Computer, Inc. by
>McIntosh Laboratories.

In the "earth-shattering news" category, I thought I would mention that
we bought the rights to the Macintosh name, so the correct notice is:
"Macintosh is a trademark of Apple Computer, Inc."
This happened several months ago.
--
David Goldsmith
Apple Computer, Inc.

AppleLink: GOLDSMITH1
UUCP:  {nsc,dual,sun,voder,ucbvax!mtxinu}!apple!dgold
CSNET: dgold@apple.CSNET, dgold%apple@CSNET-RELAY
BIX: dgoldsmith

mbrookov@udenva.UUCP (mbrookov) (05/31/87)

  There has been a great deal of discussion about who should guarantee a
Macintiosh with a non Apple memory upgarade.  For some reason people
think Apple or the dealer should be responsible for other compaines
hardware, which could consivably (sp?) damage or not work with rom/800K
drive upgrades.
  Why doesent the company that manufactured the upgrade guarantee the
Macintosh and any future upgrdes.  If they refuse to, why would anybody
want to buy their product.

                        Matt Brookover

these are my opinions, I am not affiliated whith any bodss