[comp.sys.mac] Trash-emptying bug in new system software?

eacj@batcomputer.tn.cornell.edu (Julian Vrieslander) (05/29/87)

Just encountered a weird little bug in the new system (System 4.1, Finder 5.5).
I dragged an empty folder into the trash, selected "Empty Trash" and a dialog
appears saying "Couldn't empty the trash (a file was busy or a folder is not
empty)."  I clicked OK (the only choice) and the folder jumped out of the trash
and returned to its original position.

Well, there was nothing else in the trash and the folder *was* empty (not even
any invisible files - I checked).  Why should the system software care whether a
folder that you want to delete is empty?

Anyway, I managed to delete the folder using DiskTop, but this glitch is
puzzling.  System 3.2/Finder 5.3 was prone to displaying "Could not empty the
trash" messages, but in all the cases that I remember, the messages were red
herrings, and the deletions worked.  Looks like that "feature" has been
enhanced.

--
Julian Vrieslander    (607) 255-3594
Neurobiology & Behavior, W250 Mudd Hall, Cornell University, Ithaca NY 14853

steig@batcomputer.tn.cornell.edu (Mark J. Steiglitz) (06/01/87)

In article <1188@batcomputer.tn.cornell.edu> eacj@tcgould.tn.cornell.edu.UUCP (Julian Vrieslander) writes:
>Anyway, I managed to delete the folder using DiskTop, but this glitch is
>puzzling.  System 3.2/Finder 5.3 was prone to displaying "Could not empty the
>trash" messages, but in all the cases that I remember, the messages were red
>herrings, and the deletions worked.  Looks like that "feature" has been
>enhanced.

When using System 3.2/Finder 5.3, I often had this problem.  I attempted to
delete empty folders, and when emptying the trash, I got the same message.
The folder appeared to be deleted, but after unmounting and reinserting the
disk, the empty folders appeared, and I was then able to delete them
normally.

This problem occurred only when I was using certain DAs, such as miniWRITER,
and I assumed that the reason was that the DA had created a working directory
reference that the Finder didn't know about.  Does anyone know if this is
correct?
--
|Mark J. Steiglitz          |Bitnet: steig@crnlthry, araj@crnlvax5            |
|USnail: 66 Steiglitz Road  |Arpanet: steig@tcgould.tn.cornell.edu            |