[comp.sys.mac] unix environment

sdh@thumper.UUCP (06/01/87)

In article <725@unccvax.UUCP>, cbenda@unccvax.UUCP writes:
> In article <869@apple.UUCP>, tecot@apple.UUCP (Ed Tecot) writes:
> > I posted this to INFO-MAC a while ago, but I was informed that some
> > people might not read comp.sys.mac.digest, so I'm posting again here:
> >
> > What makes programming for the Macintosh difficult?  What would you like
>
> speed... look at c development on an unloaded vax 780 running BSD 4.3...
> What I think most programmers would like to see is c development tools
> and environment such as exists in a Unix programming environment.
> /Carl
> ...decvax!mcnc!unccvax!cbenda
That already exists:
Aztec C (think).  It provides a unix-like shell,
you can use any editor you please
(not under the switcher, however) and compiles moderately fast.

You want sheer speed?  Use Lightspeed C from Think.  Very fast compile
time, pretty good code.  Here's a benchmark for you:  my last software
project was to port a 27,000 line program from a sun 3/75 workstation to
the Mac.  Compile time on the sun 15 minutes.  Compile time under lightspeed:
4 minutes 20 seconds.  Roughly, a 7 fold improvement.

Steve Hawley