[comp.sys.mac] Still sick Mac

mason@furilo.dec.com (Explaining is not understanding) (05/31/87)

HELP!  I now have: 512Ke with 2MB MacMemory upgrade and MacBottom 20 serial
HD.  The upgrade was a logic board swap.  The new(?) board has a long diagonal
jumper on the underside (interesting?).

Firing it up with all SW the same (5.5/4.1) worked the first time, but on
second startup, it couldn't find the HD.  That was a repeatable sequence
if I removed the battery for a while and tried again.  In addition, when
it *did* work, HFS Backup failed after a few disks with 800K diskette errors
(not bad disks in fact).  I switched to 5.3/3.2 and tried again.  Seemed
OK, but still got strange 800K errors.  Back to 5.5/4.1, and I got random
800K drive errors (didn't recognize that it had a disk inserted, etc.) until
it finally gave me the machine-gun sounds and snowy screen and died.  Memory
tests show OK, and Finder sees 2048K.

Any ideas?  This is becoming quite a trip.

Thanks,
Gary

ooblick@eddie.MIT.EDU (Mikki Barry) (05/31/87)

In article <10129@decwrl.DEC.COM> mason@furilo.dec.com (Explaining is not understanding) writes:
>HELP!  I now have: 512Ke with 2MB MacMemory upgrade and MacBottom 20 serial
>HD.  The upgrade was a logic board swap.  The new(?) board has a long diagonal
>jumper on the underside (interesting?).

The problems you described happened to me as well with a MacMemory upgrade.
Although the memory itself is fine, you will find that the voltage from
the power supply will be continually declining, finally to the point where
the "machine gun noises" and blank screen appear.  If you take the machine
to your local dealer, you will most likely find that the voltage is somewhere
below specs.

The difference with my problem was that the machine worked fine for 5
months with the upgrade, THEN, all of a sudden, kept flaking out, until
it just wouldn't work anymore.  The dealer tried changing the power supply,
which worked for about a day, then took out the board.  Voila, worked fine.
They sent the board back under warranty, but I don't know if I want the damn
thing back.

Mikki Barry
____________________
"I want my goddamn Mac II and I want it NOW!!!"

jdb@mordor.s1.gov (John Bruner) (06/01/87)

I have a 2Mb 512Ke with a 20M MacBottom, and I've been experiencing
flaky drive behavior since I started using System 4.1.  (I had been
using 3.1.1 for ages, quite reliably, but I foolishly decided to
tempt fate.)  The disc will run for a while, but without warning a
couple of words in the middle of memory will be trashed (presumably
when they are read from the disc).  This also happens with other Macs.
The MacBottom drive diagnostic runs without errors.

I called PCPC and they told me that my problem lay in version 2.7 of
their software.  I sent them $15 for the version 2.9 upgrade.  I hope
to know by late this week or early next week (depending upon the
lightning efficiency of the USPS) whether the new software will
solve my problems.
--
  John Bruner (S-1 Project, Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory)
  jdb@mordor.s1.gov	...!seismo!mordor!jdb		(415) 423-4848