lear@aramis.rutgers.edu.UUCP (06/04/87)

From: appelbau@topaz.rutgers.edu (Marc L. Appelbaum)
Date: 3 Jun 87 12:55:53 GMT

> I know it is possisible to d/l a TeX file to an Apple Laserwriter, but
> I don't know the correct way.  The file I want to d/l is on a UNIX
> box.  Any help would be greatly appreciated.
> --

TeX produces device independent output (DVI) that is not printable to
any printer I know without some form of filter.  Apple Laserwriters
take two forms of input - straight text, and postscript.  We use a
program ( dvi2ps ) to convert files from DVI to ps (shocked, eh? ;-)
Around here, one need only specify the -d option to lpr to invoke the
dvi2ps filter.

One more note, beware that in order to print these files, the
Laserwriter will need access to any fonts used in the document that
are not built in.

[BTW, this discussion doesn't really belong on comp.sys.mac]
--
Eliot Lear
Rutgers University Department of Mathematics