[comp.sys.mac] Lightspeed C bug & comment

radford@calgary.UUCP (06/02/87)

The following program does not work in Lightspeed C v1.02:

    #include <stdio.h>
    main()
    { long x;
      x = 7;
      printf("%f\n",(float)(x-1));
    }

It prints 7.0000 rather than six as it ought to. Not very reassuring.

Concerning the recent requests for evaluations of C compilers, I find
one problem with Lightspeed to be its un-graceful handling of Unix
filters. I have several suites of a dozen or so small programs meant
to be linked together with pipes. These are essentially useless with
Lightspeed C. With Aztec C I can at least write a shell file that will
connect them using temporary files.

    Radford Neal

tooch@mongoose.UUCP (06/05/87)

In article <936@vaxb.calgary.UUCP> radford@calgary.UUCP (Radford Neal) writes:
>The following program does not work in Lightspeed C v1.02:
>
>    #include <stdio.h>
>    main()
>    { long x;
>      x = 7;
>      printf("%f\n",(float)(x-1));
>    }
>
>It prints 7.0000 rather than six as it ought to. Not very reassuring.

Sorry to rain on your parade, but when I compiled it using LSC v2.01
it worked fine. Mark that bug as closed.

A good rule of thumb is to always make sure you're using the latest
version. (There are exceptions (MS Word 3.0), but not many.)
After all, there are two reasons for versions in the first place,
and one of them is bug fixes. (Naming the other is left as an exercise
for the reader.)

On the other hand, it would be nice if Think included with their
releases more detailed notes on what's been fixed, and where the known
bugs lie. Oh, well...

--Mike Tuciarone
  Sun Microsystems
  If the reply line doesn't work, you didn't want to talk to me anyway.