[comp.sys.mac] Dialup Connection Between IBM VM/CMS and Macintosh Plus

bills@cca.CCA.COM (Bill Stackhouse) (06/05/87)

I need to know what is the best (and hopefully not expensive) way to
do 3270 emulation via a dialup line to a 3090 class IBM mainframe running
VM/CMS. I assume that I can use MacTerminal and some type of protocol
converter (brand & model ??). As much detail as possible would be very
helpful. Thanks

--
Bill Stackhouse
Cambridge, MA.

krs@amdahl.UUCP (06/06/87)

In article <16451@cca.CCA.COM> bills@cca.CCA.COM (Bill Stackhouse) writes:
>I need to know what is the best (and hopefully not expensive) way to
>do 3270 emulation via a dialup line to a 3090 class IBM mainframe running
>VM/CMS. I assume that I can use MacTerminal and some type of protocol
>converter (brand & model ??). As much detail as possible would be very
>helpful. Thanks

I'd recommend SESSION from Kolinar.  It's got Vt-100 support in it, and
that's fine for a MacTerminal session.  You get 3278 emulation (as far as
CP is concerned, you *are* on a 3278) and it requires no hardware other
than an fep so you can dial in.  You can also run up to 12 logon sessions
simultaneously and SESSION will buffer a non-current-session's output 'til
you return to it.  The combination of SESSION and PVM will *really* do the
job for you, allowing you to multitask across different CPUs from one
terminal.

...Kris
--
Kristopher Stephens, | (408-746-6047) |          {whatever}!amdahl!krs
Amdahl Corporation   |                |    -or-  krs@amdahl.amdahl.com