[comp.sys.mac] Serial drivers question and ROM differences

daniel@sickkids.UUCP (Daniel Guerin ) (06/02/87)

I am puzzled by a couple of things with the serial drivers; may be a more
experienced soul could shed some light.

1) IM (the original edition) says that the ROM serial driver does not support
handshake;  however, on both a 512E and an SE the ROM driver *does* Xon/Xoff
handshaking (I can see it on my breakout box) on at least the modem port (I
have not tried with the printer port).  Of course I do enable Xon/Xoff
with a SerHShake call.  I looked through the documentation, and although TN #57
says that SERD 0 is in the 128K ROMs, it does not say that the ROM and the
RAM serial drivers are the same.  Is RAMSDOpen just a no-op with the 128K and
SE ROMs?  Should it still be called for compatibility with the 64K ROMs?

2) When I close a serial driver with CloseDriver, DTR (Handshake out, pin 1 on
the mini-8 connector) drops on an SE, but *remains asserted* on a 512E.  Is
this behaviour normal?  Is there a way to keep DTR asserted on the SE other
than by not closing the driver?  I also tried to call RAMSDOpen/RAMSDClose,
and the behaviour is the same: RAMSDClose causes DTR to drop on the SE only.

Thanks in advance for the help.

Daniel Guerin, The Hospital for Sick Children
UUCP: {decvax,utzoo}!sickkids!daniel	BITNET: daniel@sickkids.utoronto

dgold@apple.UUCP (06/03/87)

In article <56@sickkids.UUCP> daniel@sickkids.UUCP (Daniel Guerin ) writes:
>1) IM (the original edition) says that the ROM serial driver does not support
>handshake;  however, on both a 512E and an SE the ROM driver *does* Xon/Xoff
>handshaking (I can see it on my breakout box) on at least the modem port (I
>have not tried with the printer port).  Of course I do enable Xon/Xoff
>with a SerHShake call.  I looked through the documentation, and although TN #57
>says that SERD 0 is in the 128K ROMs, it does not say that the ROM and the
>RAM serial drivers are the same.  Is RAMSDOpen just a no-op with the 128K and
>SE ROMs?  Should it still be called for compatibility with the 64K ROMs?
>
>2) When I close a serial driver with CloseDriver, DTR (Handshake out, pin 1 on
>the mini-8 connector) drops on an SE, but *remains asserted* on a 512E.  Is
>this behaviour normal?  Is there a way to keep DTR asserted on the SE other
>than by not closing the driver?  I also tried to call RAMSDOpen/RAMSDClose,
>and the behaviour is the same: RAMSDClose causes DTR to drop on the SE only.

On everything except the 64K ROMs, the RAM and ROM serial drivers are the
same, and RAMSDOpen does nothing.  You should still call RAMSDOpen if you
want your application to be compatible with the 64K ROMs.  You should
also call RAMSDClose if you call RAMSDOpen.

For information on all of this, and how to keep DTR asserted (I believe the
difference between the 512E and the SE is related to the serial port
hardware; I think the Plus works the same as the SE), read the Serial
Driver chapter of Inside Mac volume 4.

--
David Goldsmith
Apple Computer, Inc.

AppleLink: GOLDSMITH1
UUCP:  {nsc,dual,sun,voder,ucbvax!mtxinu}!apple!dgold
CSNET: dgold@apple.CSNET, dgold%apple@CSNET-RELAY
BIX: dgoldsmith

herbw@midas.UUCP (06/04/87)

--------

I know how to keep DTR asserted in my own applications.  Is there any chance
that the forthcoming MacTerminal will be fixed to keep DTR asserted upon exit?
(I frequently switch between MacTerminal and other applications and don't like
getting logged off.)

denbeste@bgsuvax.UUCP (06/08/87)

in article <1481@midas.TEK.COM>, herbw@midas.TEK.COM (Herb Weiner) says:

> I know how to keep DTR asserted in my own applications.  Is there any chance
> that the forthcoming MacTerminal will be fixed to keep DTR asserted upon exit?
> (I frequently switch between MacTerminal and other applications and don't like
> getting logged off.)

If you want to lie to the computer on the other end, why don't you
just tie the DTR line high on your cable?  There are three cabling
options that I can think of right off the top of my head.  1) DTR
controlled by application.  2) DTR tied to MAC +5v.  You stay logged
in as long as mac is powered up.  3) DTR tied to DSR.  You stay logged
in as long as you are physically connected to the host.  You can do
this now.

I would much rather see MacTerminal handle DTR like it is supposed to
be handled.  Imagine that you call long distance and forget to log
out, and MacTerminal doesn't log out for you.  Phone bills could be
enormous.  (I have a 512E, so DTR isn't even available. :-( )

---
          William C. DenBesten | CSNET denbeste@research1.bgsu.edu
      Dept of Computer Science | UUCP  ...!cbosgd!osu-eddie!bgsuvax!denbeste
Bowling Green State University |
  Bowling Green, OH 43403-0214 |