[comp.sys.mac] Lawyers say: ExitToShell

jww@sdcsvax.UUCP (06/04/87)

As everyone knows, big corporations have lawyers, if for no other
reason to scare off the lawyers at other big corporations and to
squash pesky little corporations that don't have lawyers.
Now everyone knows lawyers are well paid, and sometimes they
feel it necessary to show they are earning their salary.

So with the 'Look and Feel' lawsuit settled against GEM, Apple's
lawyers had some time on their hands to change the licensing agreements
that developers must enter into to distribute their software on
boot disks for the Apple II and Macintosh.

Suppose you are with ABC Corporation, and (with apologies to Silicon Beach
Software, Inc.) you market 'SuperDuper', and wish to license the
System Installation Disk (System/Finder/Font/DA Mover)
and the Printer Installation Disk (LaserWriter/ImageWriter, etc.)

Clause 9 of form TD001-112886 ('Software License Agreement') requires
that ABC place into 'a conspicuous place in the manual' this statement:

    System, Finder, ImageWriter (etc.) are copyrighted programs
    of Apple Computer, Inc. licensed to ABC Corp. to distribute for use
    only in combination with SuperDuper.  Apple Software shall not be
    copied onto another diskette (except for achive purposes) or
    into memory unless as part of the execution of SuperDuper.  When
    SuperDuper has completed execution Apple Software shall not
    be used by any other program.

This means the space devoted to boot disks is worthless for the 75%
of software buyers who own a hard disk, because: you cannot copy the
System file or printer driver to your hard disk.

Now let's ask some questions:

  1. What does using mean?  Does this mean you cannot use a
     third-party DA from within the Finder?
  2. How does a developer that requires a particular System version
     distribute it?  Suppose SuperDuper requires > 800K of disk
     space to work properly; the application is 600K.  Now suppose
     that it requires System 4.9 or Laserwriter 3.7 to work without
     crashing.  Does he tell his hard disk customers (95% of his
     revenue base) that they must boot from the floppy each time?
  3. Is this due to an administrative/technical problem that Apple
     hasn't gotten around to fixing, that of some programmers
     distributing flaky pre-release system software that crashes
     on users?  You could ban developers from shipping pre-release
     system software...
  4. Did they find a loophole that prohibited you from taking your
     System file from Apple to an Atari or a Japanese Mac, but didn't
     prohibit the use of your Microsoft-supplied one?
  5. Does Apple have plans to develop a channel for distributing
     System/Finder updates for those people who rely on
     software developers for new system disks?  As I'm sure
     many people will attest, there are many Apple dealers to
     do something as non-remunerative as copy a new system file
     for some chintzy one-time customer?
  6. Perhaps Apple plans on selling their System/Finder in the future,
     say in conjunction with the rumored 'Juggler' project.  This means
     that even more users will be using old, obsolete system software
     with known bugs than today.
  7. Does anyone have a plan to enforce this?  (on the users, not the
     developers...)  I mean, in a country with a few 100,000 pirated
     copies of copy-protected Lotus 1-2-3, what's the chance of these
     statements having a meaningful effect.

Just thought I'd warn all you users, so you don't commit a felony
tomorrow.  :-)
--
	Joel West
	{ucbvax,ihnp4}!sdcsvax!jww	(ihnp4!gould9!joel if I ever fix news)

olson@endor.UUCP (06/04/87)

In article <3272@sdcsvax.UCSD.EDU> jww@sdcsvax.UCSD.EDU (Joel West) writes:
>Suppose you are with ABC Corporation...
>
>Clause 9 of form TD001-112886 ('Software License Agreement') requires
>that ABC place into 'a conspicuous place in the manual' this statement:
>
>    System, Finder, ImageWriter (etc.) are copyrighted programs
>    of Apple Computer, Inc. licensed to ABC Corp. to distribute for use
>    only in combination with SuperDuper.  Apple Software shall not be
>    copied onto another diskette (except for achive purposes) or
>    into memory unless as part of the execution of SuperDuper.  When
>    SuperDuper has completed execution Apple Software shall not
>    be used by any other program.

This, like so much else legalese, is clearly intended to be used against
ABC Corporation in situations not clearly spelled out in the clause.  For
instance, if SuperDuper were a program that takes a Mac disk and translates
it into an Atari ST disk (for the MagicSac Mac emulator, say), and it is
distributed with the System and Finder under the terms of this clause, and
it copies the System and Finder to an ST disk, which is then used on the
MagicSac.  This violates the above two ways: it copies System and Finder to
another disk for use other than the execution of SuperDuper (i.e., for use
with the MagicSac [apple] ROMs and patches), and after SuperDuper terminates,
Apple software may continue to be used (in the grand scheme of things).

Now, in fact, the MagicSac people don't distribute the Mac-to-ST (serial port)
translator with System and Finder, so they probably don't worry too much.
Also, they either (1) have a deal with Apple whereby Apple dealers will
sell MagicSac owners Mac ROMs, or (2) the situation falls under some
incredibly old anti-trust anti-bundling ruling about how IBM can't refuse
to sell their software to IBM (mainframe) compatible computer owners
(like Amdahls, I think).

One other point I'd like to make is that the owners of Macintosh computers
have a liscense to use the System and Finder (only on one machine, etc., blah,
etc.), so users don't really have to worry about that clause.

-Eric

jww@sdcsvax.UCSD.EDU (Joel West) (06/05/87)

In article <2191@husc6.UUCP>, olson@endor.harvard.edu (Eric Olson) writes:
| This, like so much else legalese, is clearly intended to be used against
| ABC Corporation in situations not clearly spelled out in the clause.  For
| instance, if SuperDuper were a program that takes a Mac disk and translates
| it into an Atari ST disk (for the MagicSac Mac emulator, say), and it is
| distributed with the System and Finder under the terms of this clause, and
| it copies the System and Finder to an ST disk, which is then used on the
| MagicSac.

Maybe.  But Apple controls who gets a license and three guesses as to
whether MagicSac would be allowed to get one.

Also, they have different language that covers this problem in the MacApp
license: it says your code has to be for a Macintosh.  I'm sure they
could have said:
    System and Finder are licensed for use only with Macintosh computers
    made by Apple Computer, Inc.
--
	Joel West
	{ucbvax,ihnp4}!sdcsvax!jww	(ihnp4!gould9!joel if I ever fix news)
	jww@sdcsvax.ucsd.edu	if you must

tim@ism780c.UUCP (06/08/87)

When Deluxe Music Construction Set first came out, the had an
interesting mistake in the manual.  They used the notice about
System and Finder from the Pinball Construction Set.  Thus, it
was illegal to boot the DMCS disk, and since it was copy protected,
you could not move DMCS to another disk.
--
Tim Smith			"Well if you want to say yes, say yes
{seismo,sdcrdcf}!ism780c!tim     And if you want to say no, say no