[comp.sys.mac] where can I get TexTures

aiv@euraiv1.UUCP (06/02/87)

Hi MacFan's,

a guest teacher at our university showed me a progam called TeXtures for
the Mac a few weeks ago. It looked rather good; if you have to do TeX,
this looks the best way to do it. Now, I haven't been able to find a
place to buy it.
So:  If you know where to get it, what it costs or have any experience
with this program, please please send me a message. I want to run it on
Mac Plus, SE and, if possible, Mac II.

By the way: I'ld prefer a source here in Europe (makes ordering easier
and a loooooot faster).

Gratefully yours,

Eelco van Asperen.

-----------------------------------------+-------------------------------------
Erasmus University Rotterdam             |uucp:mcvax!{eurifb,olnl1}!euraiv1!aiv
Fac. of Economics, Computer Science Dept.|earn:asperen@hroeur5
PO.box  1738 / 3000 DR  Rotterdam        |
T H E    N E T H E R L A N D S           |(this space intentionally left blank)
-----------------------------------------+-------------------------------------

russ@oakhill.UUCP (Russell Schwausch) (06/03/87)

In article <558@euraiv1.UUCP> aiv@euraiv1.UUCP (The One In Control) writes:
>Hi MacFan's,
>
>a guest teacher at our university showed me a progam called TeXtures for
>the Mac a few weeks ago. It looked rather good; if you have to do TeX,
>So:  If you know where to get it, what it costs or have any experience
>with this program, please please send me a message. I want to run it on
>Mac Plus, SE and, if possible, Mac II.
>
>Eelco van Asperen.

Please POST the response to this request on the net.  I am interested
and I have had several people ask me what I know about it which is very
little.  I have seen it on a MAC II but would like to check it out on a
Mac+.
--
Russell Schwausch, Motorola Inc., OakHill, Tx. (A suburb of Austin)
UUCP: {harvard,ihnp4,seismo,gatech,nbires}..!ut-sally!oakhill!russ

It's a ticket agent, it's a fare collector, no ... it's SUPERCONDUCTOR!!!

socha@drivax.UUCP (06/04/87)

In article <900@oakhill.UUCP> russ@oakhill.UUCP (Russell Schwausch) writes:
>In article <558@euraiv1.UUCP> aiv@euraiv1.UUCP (The One In Control) writes:

>>a guest teacher at our university showed me a progam called TeXtures for
>>the Mac a few weeks ago. It looked rather good; if you have to do TeX,
>>So:  If you know where to get it, what it costs or have any experience
>>with this program, please please send me a message.

>>Eelco van Asperen.

>Please POST the response to this request on the net.  I am interested
>and I have had several people ask me what I know about it which is very
>little.  I have seen it on a MAC II but would like to check it out on a
>Mac+.

>Russell Schwausch, Motorola Inc.,
				    BubbaLand, Tx. (A suburb of New Berlin :-)

ComputerWare
350 Cambridge Ave.		(Mail order - not store address)
Palo Alto, CA  94306

(800) 323-1133  CA
(800) 235-1155  US (Canada too maybe?)
(415) 323-7696  International
(910) 240-8377  Telex, Answerback: "Computerware"
Open (telephone)  M-F 9:00-5:00 (Pacific time)

As of 5/7/87 (from a list of over 4 pages of products)

TEXtures, 		Addison Wesley		List:$495, Sale:$442.
Preliminary Version 0.9

MacTex,			FTL Systems		List:$750, Sale:$595.

Note: all above information is off of their sales blurb.

I have seen reviews of these products in some rag but do not remember the
particulars except that though both are Knuth's TEX based, they are
different in some respects.
Most noteably, they include different macro (my term) libraries.
For example one includes  LATEX and the other does not (don't know which).

I would suggest finding out about both products before buying one or the other.
The only thing I do remember when I played with one  (TEXtures I think?)
was that the compile speed (TEX to output) was not that fast.
Note, neither is a WYSIWYG product. But they are very powerful definitely more
so than any other Mac or PC word processor I know of (incl. Lotus Manuscript).

Note: I think TEXtures was done in Silicon Valley for Addison Wessley
      and FTL Systems is in Toronto (416) 487-2142  (from 555-1212 information).

Hope this helps all of you TEXies out there :-)
--
UUCP:...!amdahl!drivax!socha                                      WAT Iron'75
"Everything should be made as simple as possible but not simpler."  A. Einstein

mrh@Shasta.STANFORD.EDU (Marc Hannah) (06/05/87)

In article <900@oakhill.UUCP>, russ@oakhill.UUCP (Russell Schwausch) writes:
> In article <558@euraiv1.UUCP> aiv@euraiv1.UUCP (The One In Control) writes:
> >a guest teacher at our university showed me a progam called TeXtures for
> >the Mac a few weeks ago. It looked rather good; if you have to do TeX,
> >So:  If you know where to get it, what it costs or have any experience
> >with this program, please please send me a message. I want to run it on
> >Mac Plus, SE and, if possible, Mac II.
> >Eelco van Asperen.
> Please POST the response to this request on the net.  I am interested
> Russell Schwausch, Motorola Inc., OakHill, Tx. (A suburb of Austin)

     I guess I thought this was old news but: TeXtures is quite a nice
TeX package which was written by Kellerman and Smith and is being sold
by Addison Wesley. It has been on sale in a sort of beta form for over
a year but seems very close to being released. I don't know what the official
date is but I recently received 0.99beta from K&S directly. The current
'release' is 0.95.
   This package consists of a fast editor integrated with a TeX processor
and previewer. It is standard TeX as far as I can tell and it is easy to
bring macros, etc from other TeXs into it. You can save FMT format files
directly and use them instead of loading your Macros repeatedly. One of
the nicest parts of this package is the ability to merge Macintosh
pictures into your documents using simple macros and preview WITH the
picture. Printing is (to me) surprisingly fast and the .99 version seems
very sturdy in my testing.
   I've been using this on the Mac II and can say it is MUCH nicer in that
configuration, processing is almost tolerable and the preview is easier
on the larger screen. I think that an enormous amount of attention to detail
has been paid to this product. I believe it is safe to say that K&S c
spent the bulk of their time on the user interface (it shows) and has left
the optimization of TeX for speed to versions greater than 1.0.
David Gelphman daveg%slacvm.bitnet@forsythe.stanford.edu

loucks@intvax.UUCP (06/05/87)

From the spring '87 issue of The Macintosh Buyer's Guide:

TEXtures

Professional typesetting.

$495.00 retail.

Addison-Wesley Publishing Co.
Educational Media Systems Div.
Reading, Mass. 01867
(617) 944-6795

--
Cliff Loucks   ucbvax!unmvax!sandia!intvax!loucks
Sandia National Labortories, Albuquerque, New Mexico

hen@bu-cs.BU.EDU (Bill Henneman) (06/05/87)

I've been using TeXtures for a little over a year (I'm now running
version 0.9).  It runs quite happily on a vanilla Mac+, but is
*really* impressive on a Mac II or Prodigy 4.

TeXtures is sold by Addison-Wesley Publishing Co. I suggest getting
LaTeX from them at the same time.  They have offices in
	Reading, Massachusetts,
	Menlo Park, California,
	Don Mills, Ontario,
	Wokingham, England,
	Amserdam,
	Sydney,
	Singapore,
	Tokyo,
	Madrid,
	Bogota,
	Santiago,
	San Juan.

				Hope this helps,

daveb@geac.UUCP (Dave Brown) (06/05/87)

In article <558@euraiv1.UUCP> aiv@euraiv1.UUCP writes:
>Hi MacFan's,
>
>a guest teacher at our university showed me a progam called TeXtures for
>the Mac a few weeks ago. It looked rather good; if you have to do TeX,
>this looks the best way to do it. Now, I haven't been able to find a
>place to buy it.

At the expense of placing quasi-commercial information on the net:
For TeX for the Mac, speak to Mr. EJW Van Gaalen, at
	Positronika Microsystems BZ,
	Waalresewet 17,
	5554 Ha Valken Swaard ,
	ND,
	phone: 31 4902 89881

daveb@geac.UUCP (06/08/87)

In article <1729@Shasta.STANFORD.EDU> Marc Hannah writes:
>... I believe it is safe to say that K&S c
>spent the bulk of their time on the user interface (it shows) and has left
>the optimization of TeX for speed to versions greater than 1.0.

Actually they appear to have put a fair bit of effort into making TeX
itself and the previewer start up quickly: the format was preloaded
in a resource and the previewer had its own private font (also a resource)
instead of scaling the font specified by the dvi file.
Where it is slow is on large or very complex constructs (ie, latex
with some extra macros, math, etc) I even got it to give up entirely.
 --dave (no disclaimers, i'm biased) brown