[comp.sys.mac] 512k -> 512ke upgrade

cyf@drutx.UUCP (06/11/87)

I am interested in getting a ROM-disk upgrade for my 512K mac.
Since I managed the memory upgrade on my own, I should be able to
handle this also.

The only problem is that I have found no way to get the parts with out
paying also for installation.

Is it possible to get the parts only? Or do I have to bite the bullet
and pay $300 for somthing I could do for probably $200?

Any hints would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Charlie Farwell
ihnp4!drutx!cyf

dowdy@apple.UUCP (06/12/87)

In article <4192@drutx.ATT.COM>, cyf@drutx.ATT.COM (FarwellC) writes:

> I am interested in getting a ROM-disk upgrade for my 512K mac.
> Since I managed the memory upgrade on my own, I should be able to
> handle this also.
>
> The only problem is that I have found no way to get the parts with out
> paying also for installation.
>
> Is it possible to get the parts only? Or do I have to bite the bullet
> and pay $300 for somthing I could do for probably $200?

Well first off. Where do you suppose you are going to get these new
ROMs?  I don't know who would sell to you, and if they did, it wouldn't
be legal.  Drive upgrades are disributed to dealers along with a box,
and they must return both old drives and ROMs in order to get credit.
(At least, it is my opinion that it isn't legal...)

If you could get the ROMs, where would you get a bare drive?  I don't
know who would sell you one of these either.  I should point out that
Apple drives are modified Sonys (for ejecting) and as far as I know
you couldn't use another Sony in a Mac (someone will correct me if I
am wrong Im sure :-))

So, since you can't get the parts from other sources (to my knowlage):
You may be able to get a dealer to sell you an upgrade kit without
labor and do it yourself.  Of course you don't get the 90 day free
warranty on parts should something in the kit be defective.  The
job itself is very simple to do, I have done several myself, but
then again, I'm in a no-loss situation if something is wrong with
the parts.  It may be worth the $50 in labor they charge you.
Then again, if the $150 drive is bad, it may not be.

If you are thinking of copying the ROMs, why not just go out and
steal a plus, or better yet make it an SE or a Mac II.  Its just as
legal.

  Tom Dowdy                 CSNET:    dowdy@apple.CSNET
  Apple Computer            Internet: dowdy@apple.COM
  20525 Mariani Ave         MoneyNet: (408) 973-6689
  Cupertino, CA 95014       AppleLink:DOWDY1
  MS: 27Y                   UUCP:     {sun,voder,amdahl,decwrl}!apple!dowdy
  "Plus ca change, Plus c'est la meme chose."
I dont' like disclaimers, but since this question is sort of company
related:  The opinions expressed here are my own and not those of my
employer, Apple Computer, Inc.  I'm sure that makes someone feel better.

han@apple.UUCP (06/12/87)

To the best of my knowledge, the going rate for 512->512e upgrades
here in Silicon Valley/Bay Area is about $250 or so.

It is highly advisable to upgrade at least to the 128K ROM's as many
applications coming out today are making 128K ROM assumptions.  Call
it ROM Snobbery - I have been guilty of it too.  But some software
developers are deciding it is no longer feasible to support all
machines.

Either upgrading to a Mac Plus or to a 512e (and then adding a third
party upgrade such as Levco Monster Mac or SuperMac Enhance) would be a more
desirable path.  Your machine would be far more usable for a far
greater period of time as more advanced applications and systems software
come out requiring more memory.

And come on, who needs that car?  who needs to eat?  trade the car in
for Macintosh hardware!!!!! :-O 8-)

Byron Han            |   UUCP: {sun,voder,nsc,mtxinu,dual}!apple!han
Apple Computer, Inc. |  CSNET: han@apple.csnet
20525 Mariani Ave,   | ATTNet: 408-973-6450
Cupertino, CA 95014  |  GENIE: BYRONHAN       APPLELINK: HAN1
MS 27Y               | CSERVE: 72167,1664
All opinions and statements do not necessarily represent those of my
employer, Apple Computer Inc.

korn@cory.Berkeley.EDU.UUCP (06/12/87)

In article <1009@apple.UUCP> dowdy@apple.UUCP (Tom Dowdy) writes:

>>...[someone asks about getting the 128K ROMS and drive (possibly seperately]..

>Well first off. Where do you suppose you are going to get these new
>ROMs?  I don't know who would sell to you, and if they did, it wouldn't
>be legal.  Drive upgrades are disributed to dealers along with a box,
>and they must return both old drives and ROMs in order to get credit.
>(At least, it is my opinion that it isn't legal...)

There is nothing illegal about selling ROMs.  I can open up my Macintosh,
remove the ROMs, and then sell them to whoever I please.  People can purchase
broken macs that dealers, for whatever reasons, don't want to send back to
Apple, and then sell the parts (and make 1 mac out of 2 bad ones with a LOT
of board level work--something that 95% of the Apple dealers aren't capable
of).  Another way is to talk to someone who got one of the BeckTech upgrades
that replace the Apple ROMs with their own--the old 64K apple ROMs are left
in the case taped to the disk drive (this info only useful to Atari users
who are willing to settle for <40% macintosh compatibility and don't mind
breaking the law by using the use-restricted Mac System and Finder).

The only 'legal' question is in how the seller gets the ROMs; as I've
illustrated above, there are several perfectly legal ways.  Unlikely ways
you say?  Perhaps.  The guy I ran into had only 8 sets of working 64K ROMs,
and only one set of working 128K ROMs the day I talked with him.

>If you could get the ROMs, where would you get a bare drive?  I don't
>know who would sell you one of these either.  I should point out that
>Apple drives are modified Sonys (for ejecting) and as far as I know
>you couldn't use another Sony in a Mac (someone will correct me if I
>am wrong Im sure :-))

A bare drive can be obtained by purchasing a third party external drive
and taking off the cover, thus making a 'bare' drive.  One must be careful
which brand of drive one uses--but it's still quite workable.

However, the street price for 128K ROMs in the Bay Area is $30/pair.  An
good external drive will cost ~$200 (Central Point).  It's not worth saving
$20 when you wind up with a semi-cludge with non-apple parts...

So Apple upgrage sales have little to worry about...

Peter
--
Peter "Arrgh" Korn	 			Oh when, oh when will my MacII
korn@ucbvax.Berkeley.EDU				 arrive?  Oh where, oh