[comp.sys.mac] TeXtures and the Mac II ?? + Question on LaTeX wysiwyg systems.

mayer@hplabsc.UUCP (06/12/87)

Can somebody please inform us what TeXtures is?

Are there any wysiwyg editors that can do I/O from LaTeX formatted text?

I'm sure I'm not the only one who wants to know.

-- Niels.

socha@drivax.UUCP (06/13/87)

In article <1995@hplabsc.UUCP> mayer@hplabsc.UUCP (Niels Mayer) writes:

>Subject: Re: TeXtures and the Mac II ?? + Question on LaTeX wysiwyg systems.
 Walk over to your local ComputerWare store California and El Cameno Real
 and try out TexTures and FTLs  MacTex on a Mac II.  When I saw them there
 it was only a few minutes before closing so could not test it out very well.
 But, it did run though it still seemed slow on the MacII.
 Note: I probably did not configure/optimize the example I ran to use
 pre-compiled macros (which can be done I think).

>Can somebody please inform us what TeXtures is?
 Walk over to Stanford's Bookstore and look at Knuth's books on TEX.
 The less expensive paperback ones are at ComputerWare also.

>Are there any wysiwyg editors that can do I/O from LaTeX formatted text?
  Sorry, I don't know but I don't think so.
  LaTeX manuals are usually on the shelf right beside the TeX books  (pun':-)

>I'm sure I'm not the only one who wants to know.
>
>-- Niels.

OK, for those who do not live in Palo Alto or even close (2 hr. drive for me).

  TEX is a text formatting system/programme written by Donald Knuth when
  he got frustated with generating his "Art of Computer Programming" books.
  He designed/wrote/implemented TEX and then put it into the public domain.
  It is a Pascal programme the source of which is available as a book
  and in machine readable form for about $93!  (1 mag tape & no support)
  TeXtures sold by Addison Wesley is a Macintosh implementation of TEX.
  There is another implementation called MacTeX by FTL systems.
  LaTeX is a set of TEX macros that enhance the 'language'.
  Note: the extra $500 between buying TEX source or an implementation
  are because it is VERY large and complex and is supported.

  To my knowledge there are no WYSIWYG editors that work with LaTeX or TEX
  formated files for ANY computer.
  All implementations of TEX use a 'compile' phase that reads a source (TEX)
  file and generate a Device Independent formatted text output file.

Note: the above is from interest/knowledge in reading about and listening
to talks by Knuth and others.  I do not use TEX at this time.

Disclaimer: I have no connection with any of the above organizations.
	Other than as a satisfied customer.
--
UUCP:...!amdahl!drivax!socha                                      WAT Iron'75
"Everything should be made as simple as possible but not simpler."  A. Einstein