[comp.sys.mac] Word 3.0 Bug??

dam2@sphinx.UUCP (06/12/87)

I have a problem using Word 3.0 at home and at work concerning margins. At
home I have a Mac 512E and an 800K external drive. At work, I use a Mac+ and
a LaserWriter. At home, when the ruler is visible, the text width is 6 inches
and takes up a full screen width. At work, the ruler still says 6 inches but
is narrower, i.e., does not take up the full screen. Also, when I print on the
LaserWriter, there are more pages than show up when you paginate in Word.

The result of this is that my footnotes get weird. For example, at home when
there are two footnotes to a page, they will be altered at work, making them
appear on two different pages. This wouldn't be a problem, except that the
footnote on the second page is #2, and it should be #1, like it is every-
where else.

Another problem is that sometimes the first 2 footnotes in the text area
are 12 or 14pt., while the rest on the page, and normally, document are
10 pt., or maybe smaller.

One more thing, after using the Word disk at work, the margins at home become
like the ones at work (6 inches, but not the full screen), but only
temporarily. Somehow they switch back to having 6 inches take the entire
screen width.

Has anybody else had this problem? Is the LaserWriter the culprit? Or maybe
the Mac+? Or is it me? Would appreciate any help!!

Please E-mail any responses, and I'll post summary if there's enough interest.

Thanks,

Dave

--
		FLAME ME TO A MEDIUM BROWN!!!!
Dave M.

vito@trwspf.UUCP (06/13/87)

In article <1967@sphinx.uchicago.edu> dam2@sphinx.uchicago.edu (D.A.M.) writes:
>I have a problem using Word 3.0 at home and at work concerning margins. At
>home I have a Mac 512E and an 800K external drive. At work, I use a Mac+ and
>a LaserWriter. At home, when the ruler is visible, the text width is 6 inches
>and takes up a full screen width. At work, the ruler still says 6 inches but
>is narrower, i.e., does not take up the full screen. Also, when I print on the
>LaserWriter, there are more pages than show up when you paginate in Word.
This is NOT a bug in Word.  I ran into this myself.  When you are at home, make
sure that you choose the Laserwriter as your printer.  I know, you don't have
one at home, neither do I.  But, you must choose the LW to tell Word what
type of printer it is going to.

>One more thing, after using the Word disk at work, the margins at home become
>like the ones at work (6 inches, but not the full screen), but only
>temporarily. Somehow they switch back to having 6 inches take the entire
>screen width.
Of course, it was set up at work for a Laserwriter, but by the time you
format it at home, it will think Imagewriter, thus going back to its
old state.  Choose LaserWriter at home, the chooser doesn't have to
actually find a LaserWriter on the network.  Of course, you will have
to turn on Appletalk, but that doesn't mean that you have to actually
have an Appletalk network at home.
--
Herb Barad - TRW Data Systems Lab
ARPA:	barad@brand.usc.edu

dorner@uxc.cso.uiuc.edu.UUCP (06/15/87)

All this business of messing with margins depending on the printer
driver in use is driving me up a wall.

It seems obvious to me that a word processor should NOT scale the
margins based on the printer in use.  If I want 1" left and right
margins on the Imagewriter, I will want them on the Laserwriter, too.
It doesn't make a bit of difference to me that the Imagewriter can
print 1/8" closer to the edge of the paper than the Laserwriter.

And if I transgress?  If I exceed the sacred PRINTABLE AREA?  Warn me;
chop off my text--I don't care, I can change the margins myself.  But
Don't Tread on My Ruler!

Doesn't anybody (doesn't EVERYBODY) else feel this way?

Steve
dorner@uxc.cso.uiuc.edu