[comp.sys.mac] random mouse clicks on SE

boylan@dicome.UUCP (06/17/87)

My brand new SE beeps randomly several times a minute while
the mouse is sitting idle on the desktop.   This vaguely reminds
me of a reported problem with random mouse clicks from several
weeks back.

Is there a connection with whatever that random click problem
turned out to be?

What's wrong with my mac?

Thanks,
--

	Chris Boylan
	{mgnetp | ihnp4 | uwvax}!dicomed!boylan

jlc@atux01.UUCP (J. Collymore) (06/17/87)

In article <1220@dicome.UUCP>, boylan@dicome.UUCP (Chris Boylan) writes:
> My brand new SE beeps randomly several times a minute while
> the mouse is sitting idle on the desktop.   This vaguely reminds
> me of a reported problem with random mouse clicks from several
> weeks back.
>
> Is there a connection with whatever that random click problem
> turned out to be?
>
> What's wrong with my mac?
>
> Thanks,
> --
> 	Chris Boylan

Chris:

I was the poster of that first "mouse-double-click" problem.  Here is a
re-post of my original article.  I am posting it, as well as the suggestions I
received from other netters on fixing the problem, in the hopes that it may
be of use and interest to you and others.  I have removed the names
of the posters to protect the innocent.

If any of you guys from Apple can offer any new suggestions, please let me know.

						Jim Collymore

p.s.  I did exchange the mouse for a new one at a local Apple dealer last
      month when I started getting double-clicks increasingly on the desktop
      level as well as in the game "Wizardry".  The problem seemed to
      disappear (at the desktop level) after that however, I also installed
      the new Finder and System files that recently became available so I can't
      be sure which was the "cure."  However, I should also add that I am still
      having the problem in Wizardry, and I thought I noticed it last week
      when I used my "WriteNow" package, and have not tried it recently in
      "Professional Composer."

      Do I have a sick Mac SE?!

			(THE ORIGINAL POSTING/PROBLEM)

Subject: Mouse Double-Clicking Problem on MAC SE
Newsgroups: comp.sys.mac

I have run into a problem that is becoming a considerable hinderance in
using, and enjoying, some of my software and my MAC SE (dual-floppy).

Last thursday I got Wizardry by Sir Tech.  I noticed when moving through the
maze it would often respond with TWO clicks when I had only clicked on the
mouse ONCE!  Causing me a lot of back-tracking and generally diluting my
enjoyment of the game.  I switched to using the keyboard for movement and had
NO double-click problems as I had with the mouse.  I was getting a double-click
~20% of the time.  I thought that it might be because of my installing the
newest System files from the SE into the Wizardry backup disk, but upon
putting the original older System Files back into my back-up I still had the
same problem, so I don't believe it's with the System files.  I did call
Sir Tech yesterday and asked them if it could be a bug in the software and
they said they'd look into it.

Then, last night, I was using Professional Composer and trying to create a
new score, and things started going crazy with erroneous double-clicking!
Two notes were appearing when I had only cliked for one (forcing me to waste
a LOT of time deleting notes).  Whole measures would sometimes become
highlighted when I had only meant to click on a single note!  This was the
first time I'd tried using Composer in a week, and it is the first time
since I got Wizardry and began having this problem that it's shown up in
Composer.  I have not dropped, nor otherwise mishandled the mouse, but I'm
really concerned with what's wrong.  I don't like spending thousands of
dollars on computer hardware and software and then not have it function
properly when I've had it LESS than three weeks!

Could someone out there please offer some suggestions on fixing this
problem!

Thanks.

						Jim Collymore

			(THE RESPONSES FROM THE NET)

Subject: Re: MAC SE Mouse Double-clicking problem in "Composer"
Newsgroups: rec.music.synth

Sounds to me like the mouse button switch is bouncing, which is weird as it
*must* be debounced, probably in hardware.  Try to see if the spurious second
click is occuring when the button is released, or if you get two when it's
pressed.
If you're feeling intrepid, you might try opening up your mouse and replacing
the switch (probably a standard microswitch under the button cover).  If not,
get it repaired or buy a new mouse ...
(I'm sure it's not the software, as applications never see the button at such
a low-level; double-clicks are recognized in the system software, which I'm
sure is also not at fault.
Good luck!
--

Newsgroups: rec.music.synth

If you can get at the button in question (ie. operate on the mouse), try
some contact-cleaner spray such as Radio Shack's "color TV tuner cleaner".

---
Subject: Re: Mouse Double-Clicking Problem on MAC SE
Newsgroups: comp.sys.mac

Have the mouse fixed.

----

A followup to Jim Collymore about Macintosh SE double clicking:

	A couple of things to check:

	1. Check your control panel setting for double clicking.  Try making
	the reponse time longer.

	2. If double clicking continues, have the mouse looked at by a
	dealer.  It might be defective.

	As a general note:  The Macintosh SE had extensive testing for
compatability (I know, I used to work in Software Quality Assurance) and
the pattern of behaviour that you described is so bltant that it would have
been spotted.
	Also, while we are trying for zero defects in manufacturing (we are
around 99% I believe), defects still creep into things.  That is why we
place a warranty on our product.  If it is trully defective, please take it
to a dealer and have it replaced!

--

I also had a problem with extraneous double-clicking with the mouse on
my SE.  In fact, at one time I could hold the button right on the

By the way, other people have suggested changing the click speed setting
in the control panel, but I don't see how this could help.  When switches
bounce, the extra button ups and downs are coming very close together --
much faster than anyone could normally double click.  Unless I'm missing
something and the debouncing software also uses the control panel setting
to determine the time threshold for debouncing?

--

Subject: Re: Double-Click Problem on SE mouse: An Update
Newsgroups: comp.sys.mac