[comp.sys.mac] Hard disk for SE

palmer@tybalt.caltech.edu.UUCP (06/16/87)

I just received a Mac SE with two floppies, and I would like to replace
one of the floppies with an internal hard drive, without paying Apple's
price.

I would prefer 80 Mbytes to 20 (who wouldn't) but, being a poor graduate
student, that depends on price.

My questions are these:
	What type of drive (manufacturer and model number) does Apple
	sell for the 20 Meg upgrade? for 80 Meg?  Does it have to
	be a 3.25 inch half-height?

	Who sells these drives and for how much?

	What additional mounting brackets, cables, etc. are required?

	Would I be better off just buying a Jasmine or some other
	external drive?

I am not afraid of opening up my Mac (I piggy-backed ram-chips to
bring my original 128k Mac up to 1 Meg.  After that any other surgery
is minor.)

		Thanks in advance
		David Palmer
		palmer@tybalt.caltech.edu
"The nice thing about the Intel family is that it retains upward
compatability.  There are many streetlights out there which would
be obsolete if the 4004 could not be replaced by a 80386 with
an optional floating point coprocessor"

han@apple.UUCP (06/16/87)

Peripheral Land has an internal 30 Megabyte hard disk for the SE.  I am
not sure about the price.

Byron Han            |   UUCP: {sun,voder,nsc,mtxinu,dual}!apple!han
Apple Computer, Inc. |  CSNET: han@apple.csnet
20525 Mariani Ave,   | ATTNet: 408-973-6450
Cupertino, CA 95014  |  GENIE: BYRONHAN       APPLELINK: HAN1
MS 27Y               | CSERVE: 72167,1664
All opinions and statements do not necessarily represent those of my
employer, Apple Computer Inc.

korn@cory.Berkeley.EDU.UUCP (06/17/87)

In article <3031@cit-vax.Caltech.Edu> palmer@tybalt.caltech.edu (David Palmer) writes:

>My questions are these:
>	What type of drive (manufacturer and model number) does Apple
>	sell for the 20 Meg upgrade? for 80 Meg?  Does it have to
>	be a 3.25 inch half-height?

Apple was selling Rodine drives initially, and then switched to MicroScience.
I believe that Apple is using Quantum drives in the Mac II (at least for
the 80 Meg drive).  Sorry, no model no.   For the SE you do need a 3.5" drive.

>	Who sells these drives and for how much?

Mirror Technologies sells 20s and (I believe) 40s for the SE.  They also
sell 50's and 80's for the MacII.

>	Would I be better off just buying a Jasmine or some other
>	external drive?

If you want to have an internal drive for portability, go internal.
Theoretically an internal drive might be less epensive 'cause you aren't
paying for a power supply and case.  Then again, 3.5" drives cost a little
more than 5.25" drives...

Peter
--
Peter "Arrgh" Korn	 			Oh when, oh when will my MacII
korn@ucbvax.Berkeley.EDU				 arrive?  Oh where, oh

dwb@apple.UUCP (06/17/87)

In article <2888@zen.berkeley.edu> korn@cory.Berkeley.EDU.UUCP (Peter "Arrgh" Korn) writes:
>I believe that Apple is using Quantum drives in the Mac II (at least for
>the 80 Meg drive).  Sorry, no model no.   For the SE you do need a 3.5" drive.
	80 Meg.				Quantum Q280
	20 Meg (HD20 and Mac II)	Seagate 225N

	David
--
	David W. Berry
	dwb@well.uucp                   dwb@Delphi

mo@well.UUCP (Maurice Weitman) (06/18/87)

In article <2888@zen.berkeley.edu> korn@cory.Berkeley.EDU.UUCP (Peter "Arrgh" Korn) writes:

> [...]   For the SE you do need a 3.5" drive.

I believe that 5.25" drives (such as the Quantum Q280 -- Apple's
and other's 80mb drive) will fit in the SE's top drive slot.

Relax Technology makes 20mb, 40mb and 80mb internal drives for
the SE.  List prices are $895, $1395 and $1795.

--
Maurice Weitman           ..!{dual,hplabs,lll-crg,ptsfa,glacier}!well!mo
 | <this is not a pipe    POBox 10019 Berkeley, CA  94709  (415)549-0280
NSA food: CIA + FBI + Reagan = terrorism   Quote: "I'm not a crook." RMN
Disclaimer:  Any errors in spelling, tact or fact are transmission error06