[comp.sys.mac] Terminal Emulator Info Wanted

davidl@omepd.UUCP (06/16/87)

My mother needs a Mac terminal emulator with one special feature: it must
be able to capture as much as a megabyte of text from the mainframe in one
fell swoop.  I don't mean file upload/download, I mean capturing the
mainframe's standard output to a Mac (hard) disk, as in MacTerminal's "Save
Lines Off Top".  She's been using a PC-based package that can only
handle a few hundred K at a time, and it's just not good enough.

For all I know, MacTerminal can do this, but the limits are not in the
documentation and I don't intend to take the 2+ hours it would take to find
out.  I'm hoping that someone out there has had this problem and has found a
terminal emulator that can deal with it.  (In case you're wondering, she's
trying to capture information from huge on-line text databases that have
never heard of XMODEM or Kermit.)  Shareware, freeware, or commercial product
is fine, and it doesn't have to deal with speeds over 1200 baud.

Send mail to me at inteloe (well, mail to intelod will probably make it
too).  Thanks in the proverbial advance.

-- David D. Levine, formerly of Tektronix, now of Intel
   ...{decvax,ihnp4,hplabs}!tektronix!ogcvax!inteloa!inteloe!davidl

mrh@Shasta.UUCP (06/20/87)

In article <799@omepd>, davidl@intelod.intel.com (David Levine) writes:
> My mother needs a Mac terminal emulator with one special feature: it must
> be able to capture as much as a megabyte of text from the mainframe in one
> fell swoop.  I don't mean file upload/download, I mean capturing the
> mainframe's standard output to a Mac (hard) disk, as in MacTerminal's "Save
I tried to reply directly but my mail got bounced so:

   I know that VersaTerm ($99 retail, $79 locally) will do exactly what
you want. You can choose SAVE STREAM and the incomming text stream will
be placed in a Macintosh file. This will allow you to save as large a file
as you have disk space for (no memory limitation). I highly recommend this
package for MANY other reasons but if this is one requirement you have
it will certainly meet it.  David Gelphman