[comp.sys.mac] True Mac+ Compatibility in Upgraded Macs

jjs@burdvax.UUCP (06/18/87)

A fellow Mac'r and I have run into an interesting (though minor) problem
and I would like to receive e-mail from knowledgable parties.

A demo program called Jam Session (dated around 9/85 according to the
Finder) was copied from some disks of PD/Shareware stuff at the recent
Drexel Mac Fair. It's supposed to play sound files generated by the
Studio Session program (I think that is its purpose). Some instrument
sounds and some sample songs were included in the folder containing the
Jam Session program.

This program loads ok on my upgraded Mac (128K to Mac+) but bombs
immmediately (ID= 02) when I try to load one of the demo song files.
On the other hand, on my friend's factory fresh Mac+, the program does
in fact work. We made a single DS boot disk containing the folder with
Jam Session and tried it on both machines with the result that it works
on the real Mac+, but not on my upgraded Plus. All leads on the source
and/or correction to this problem are welcomed.

As a larger, though relevant issue, how much a Plus is an upgraded Mac?
I recall reading that there were some minor differences between an
upgraded machine, and an original, factory-produced Mac+. This topic
might be of interest to the newsgroup readership.

Thanks for any help.

Jim Solderitsch
Unisys, Paoli Research Center

USENET: sdcrdcf!burdvax!jjs
        {sjuvax,ihnp4,akgua,cadre}psuvax1!burdvax!jjs
ARPANET: jjs@burdvax.prc.unisys.com

dowdy@apple.UUCP (Tom Dowdy) (06/20/87)

In article <3799@burdvax.PRC.Unisys.COM> jjs@burdvax.PRC.Unisys.COM (James Solderitsch) writes:
>A demo program called Jam Session (dated around 9/85 according to the
>Finder) was copied from some disks of PD/Shareware stuff at the recent
>Drexel Mac Fair. It's supposed to play sound files generated by the
>Studio Session program (I think that is its purpose). Some instrument
>sounds and some sample songs were included in the folder containing the
>Jam Session program.
>
>This program loads ok on my upgraded Mac (128K to Mac+) but bombs
>immmediately (ID= 02) when I try to load one of the demo song files.
>On the other hand, on my friend's factory fresh Mac+, the program does
>in fact work. We made a single DS boot disk containing the folder with
>Jam Session and tried it on both machines with the result that it works
>on the real Mac+, but not on my upgraded Plus. All leads on the source
>and/or correction to this problem are welcomed.

I also have the Jam Session demo.  It runs on MY Mac Plus (upgraded),
it ran on one or two "factory fresh" ones that I have seen.  I have
seen it run on a pre-release SE.  It does not run on this Mac Plus
I am sitting at, nor the SE next to it.  I have been unable to see
a pattern in any of this.  What I wish there was would be a new version
of Jam Session, because it's obviously very flakey with new ROMs.

  Tom Dowdy                 CSNET:    dowdy@apple.CSNET
  Apple Computer            Internet: dowdy@apple.COM
  20525 Mariani Ave         MoneyNet: (408) 973-6689
  Cupertino, CA 95014       AppleLink:DOWDY1
  MS: 27Y                   UUCP:     {sun,voder,amdahl,decwrl}!apple!dowdy
  "Plus ca change, Plus c'est la meme chose."

mrh@Shasta.STANFORD.EDU (Marc Hannah) (06/21/87)

In article <3799@burdvax.PRC.Unisys.COM>, jjs@burdvax.PRC.Unisys.COM (James Solderitsch) writes:
> This program loads ok on my upgraded Mac (128K to Mac+) but bombs
> immmediately (ID= 02) when I try to load one of the demo song files.
> On the other hand, on my friend's factory fresh Mac+, the program does
> in fact work. We made a single DS boot disk containing the folder with
> Jam Session and tried it on both machines with the result that it works
> on the real Mac+, but not on my upgraded Plus. All leads on the source
> and/or correction to this problem are welcomed.
> Jim Solderitsch

     I suspect that you've got the RAM cache on in one case and not in the
other. If you really want to test this, it is probably a good idea to
remove peripherals (like hard disk), remove the battery for a few minutes,
then boot up. You have to be careful about claiming that the machines are
configured the same way. If you were to (say) have a 700K ram cache and
try and run a large program, you can find funny errors.
Good luck,  David Gelphman   daveg%slacvm.bitnet@forsythe.stanford.erc,