[comp.sys.mac] Mac II and Lightspeed Pascal

harrow@exodus.dec.com (Jeff Harrow, NCSE BXB1-2/E02 DTN=293-5128) (06/21/87)

I just tried to run some programs under the Lightspeed Pascal V1.01 development
environment.  It REALLY acted WIERD.  With the Monitor in 16 color mode
as soon as I clicked on a menu item the whole menu bar would change to
odd colors and the system would hang.  In 2-color mode, I'd get strange
"Illegal Instruction Execution" errors on normal things like AddResFile.

Hummm,  I thought V1.01 was supposed to work on the Mac II.  Think, help!
LSPs TOO GOOD to have to abandon just when I need it most!

Jeff Harrow
(617)264-5128

han@apple.UUCP (Byron Han) (06/22/87)

In article <10493@decwrl.DEC.COM>, harrow@exodus.dec.com (Jeff Harrow, NCSE BXB1-2/E02 DTN=293-5128) writes:
> I just tried to run some programs under the Lightspeed Pascal V1.01 development
> environment.  It REALLY acted WIERD.  With the Monitor in 16 color mode
> as soon as I clicked on a menu item the whole menu bar would change to
> odd colors and the system would hang.  In 2-color mode, I'd get strange
> "Illegal Instruction Execution" errors on normal things like AddResFile.
>
> Hummm,  I thought V1.01 was supposed to work on the Mac II.  Think, help!
> LSPs TOO GOOD to have to abandon just when I need it most!

I believe that LSP 1.01 will only work with the Macintosh II in 2-bit mode.

They are about to release an upgade which will fully implement Mac II interfaces
and be more compatible with the Macintosh II.

LSP 1.01 seems to have trouble with the context switching and multi-color mode.
Highliting gets screwup up, menu's get cerebrally damaged, selection
highlighting results in pure black, not inverted video.

I believe something in quickdraw globals is being mucked.

From talking to Think, they were real helpful and sorry about the problem
and promised to genuflect three times every hour in front of a picture
of Andy Hertzfeld until the bugs are resolved.  :-)   <- NOTE: this was
a JOKE for those who didn't realize that.  TeeHeeHee.

/* Byron B. Han                 UUCP: {sun,voder,nsc,mtxinu,dual}!apple!han */
/* Apple Computer, Inc.        CSNET: han@apple.csnet                       */
/* 20525 Mariani Ave MS 27Y   ATTNet: 408-973-6450      CSERVE: 72167,1664  */
/* Cupertino, CA 95014         GENIE: BYRONHAN       APPLELINK: HAN1        */