[comp.sys.mac] System Finder license and Apple Bas

dorner@uxc.cso.uiuc.edu (06/08/87)

> Apple is not interesting in being nit-picky and looking over every user's
> shoulder to see if he or she is using a licensed copy of the system and
> finder with the application it was distributed with.
>
> We are interested in protecting ourselves from litigation which may arise
> from someone who has some unfortunate incident and wants to get lots
> and lots of money via a lawsuit for something really beyond our control.

Good.  I'm glad to hear someone say this, although I realize it's not
official.

> I personally really resent Apple bashing (I am, after all, partial to them
> being an employee of theirs).  We really care about the users of our
> products and to insinuate that we are out to screw people over is
> simply uncalled for.
>
> Maybe you want all software to be distributed without System and Finder's???

Please, I don't think anyone was (this time around) flaming Apple.  We were
flaming Apple's lawyers.  Nobody likes lawyers :-).  It is unfortunate that
the legal profession has made it so that the only way to protect oneself
from horrible abuse is to make blustering statements that everyone knows
are meaningless in most cases.

If we would all ignore everything every lawyer said, we'd all get along
much better.  Unfortunately, sometimes ignored lawyers get their revenge
with lawsuits, so one does have to be careful...

> ==========
> Byron Han
> Apple Computer Inc.
> ucbvax!sun!apple!han

Steve Dorner
dorner@uxc.cso.uiuc.edu

eric@batcomputer.tn.cornell.edu (Eric Fielding) (06/24/87)

In article <174400034@uxc.cso.uiuc.edu> dorner@uxc.cso.uiuc.edu writes:
>If we would all ignore everything every lawyer said, we'd all get along
>much better.  Unfortunately, sometimes ignored lawyers get their revenge
>with lawsuits, so one does have to be careful...
>Steve Dorner

I read some interesting statistics about lawyers the other day.

In the U.S. there are 10 lawyers for every engineer.

In Japan there are 10 engineers for every lawyer.

Two-thirds of the lawyers in the WORLD practice in the United States.

And we all wondered why there were so many law suits in the US.

			++Eric

Internet:   fielding@geology.tn.cornell.edu
BITNET:   eric@CRNLTHRY