[comp.sys.mac] Where You Can Find Whole-Screen/Whole-Page Images

cds@duke.cs.duke.edu (Craig D. Singer) (06/18/87)

A while ago I asked people for information on full-screen and full-page
images for the Macintosh.  I did not get many replies, but of those I got,
three suggestions come out that are useful to interested readers:

1. Buy disks from public domain catalogs, notably Educomp, where many
full-screen and full-page images can be found, usually assorted by subject
onto disks.

2. Buy a scanner and books (notably from Dover Publishing) and/or magazines
with interesting pictures and run 'em through.

3. Buy MacDraw-style clip-art, much of which can be scaled to any size
without the horrible contortions of MacPaint-style bit images.

The last suggestion may be useful for some purposes, but as I am more
interested in scenes rather than just big images, I consider the other two
suggestions more appropriate (for me).  Of these, (1) is cheaper than (2)
but certainly less flexible for real art work.  It's a matter of taste,
degree of interest, and pocket size.

I have received the Educomp catalog, and indeed, it does contain many disks
of full-screen and full-page imagery.  Thanks to those of you who offered
that advice.  However, Educomp's disks are $10 apiece, no small potatoes for
public domain artwork (most of which, I would guess, was scanned and cleaned
up by some industrious people).  The disks contain around half a dozen images
each, which seems strange since if they are MacPaint files we're talking
about less than half the storage space of a one-sided disk.  Not a lot for
your ten bucks, I'd say.  Still, I might buy one or two since there seems to
be no other alternative.

Any further comments would be appreciated.

--
Craig D. Singer                      ARPA:  cds@cs.duke.edu
Department of Computer Science       UUCP:  ...!decvax!duke!cds

kleef@cs.vu.nl (Patrick van Kleef) (06/21/87)

In article <9790@duke.cs.duke.edu> cds@duke.cs.duke.edu (Craig D. Singer) writes:

>I have received the Educomp catalog, and indeed, it does contain many disks
>of full-screen and full-page imagery.  Thanks to those of you who offered
>that advice.  However, Educomp's disks are $10 apiece, no small potatoes for
>public domain artwork (most of which, I would guess, was scanned and cleaned
>up by some industrious people).  The disks contain around half a dozen images
>each, which seems strange since if they are MacPaint files we're talking
>about less than half the storage space of a one-sided disk.  Not a lot for
>your ten bucks, I'd say.  Still, I might buy one or two since there seems to
>be no other alternative.
>
>Any further comments would be appreciated.
>
>--
>Craig D. Singer                      ARPA:  cds@cs.duke.edu
>Department of Computer Science       UUCP:  ...!decvax!duke!cds
>Duke University                      CSNET: cds@duke
>Durham, NC  27706-2591  USA          Phone (919) 684-5110 ext. 20

Why don't you try and get in touch with BMUG, the Berkeley Macintosh
User Group. During my recent visit to the States, I purchased the
entire PD Disk set (containing 58 doublesided disk, costing $155 (!)),
which includes something like 7 disks containing pictures (and some
5 more containing graphics utilities). These pictures include some
very nice stuff and the price is amazingly low (less than $3 per ds disk!).

Althoug you're quite a long way away from Berkeley, it might be worth the call.
Tel# (415)- uhm. can't find the MacWorld June issue... It's in there,
somewhere on the 'tips' pages.

While I'm on the subject (?), I also bought The Macintosh Bible ($21)
while I was in San Francisco. I seldomly have seen such a useful book!
It contains lots of tips regarding Mac software, printer usage, general
tips, you name it, that book got it. Even tips in Word 3.0 (so pretty
up-to-date). The buyer is entitled to two updates (by sending a letter to
the publisher) that are free! Absolutely top value!

The Macintosh Bible
Goldstein and Blair
Written by Dale Coleman & Arthur Naiman

Usual disclaimer about not being affiliated with.... [fill in the blanks,
I'm self-employed]

mo@well.UUCP (Maurice Weitman) (06/25/87)

In article <1045@ark.cs.vu.nl> kleef@cs.vu.nl (Patrick van Kleef) writes:
>Why don't you try and get in touch with BMUG, the Berkeley Macintosh
>User Group. During my recent visit to the States, I purchased the
>entire PD Disk set (containing 58 doublesided disk, costing $155 (!)),
>which includes something like 7 disks containing pictures (and some
>5 more containing graphics utilities). These pictures include some
>very nice stuff and the price is amazingly low (less than $3 per ds disk!).

BMUG can be reached at (415)549-BMUG (voice)
	       and 	(415)849-BMUG (bbs 2400/1200/300)
and by mail at  1442A Walnut #62,  Berkeley, CA  94709
and (sort of) at ..!{dual,hplabs,lll-crg,ptsfa,glacier}!well!bmug

--
Maurice Weitman           ..!{dual,hplabs,lll-crg,ptsfa,glacier}!well!mo
 | <this is not a pipe    POBox 10019 Berkeley, CA  94709  (415)549-0280
NSA food: CIA + FBI + Reagan = terrorism   Quote: "I'm not a crook." RMN
Disclaimer:  Any errors in spelling, tact or fact are transmission errors.