[comp.sys.mac] Mac SE Slow Upper Drive

tomc@mntgfx.MENTOR.COM (Tom Carstensen) (06/20/87)

What is the real reason for the Macintosh SE's upper (second) disk drive for
being so slow (I've measured it to being up to 50% slower, or 1.5 times
longer than the lower drive).  The reason I got from Apple was that it is
"inherint to the system".

It seems ridiculous to pay more for a machine (Mac+) and get a drive
with degraded performance.  This is found to be true for all of the
Mac SE's that I've tried.  There should at least be some kind of mention
of this when buying an SE, so the the hard disk option can be more
heavily waited as an option.

First, is there going to eventually be a fix to this problem (new
disk controller chip or something), and why is this issue being kept
such a secret.   I've heard that the actual problem is that the contoller
keeps turn the drive motor off  --  is this true.

NOTE: The disk drive hooked to the external port on an SE runs just fine.
The problem is in the floppy port.  I'd just assume to take out my upper
internal drive and connect it to the external port.

Tom Carstensen
Mentor Graphics

dgold@apple.UUCP (David Goldsmith) (06/21/87)

In article <746@mntgfx.MENTOR.COM> tomc@mntgfx.MENTOR.COM (Tom Carstensen) writes:
>What is the real reason for the Macintosh SE's upper (second) disk drive for
>being so slow (I've measured it to being up to 50% slower, or 1.5 times
>longer than the lower drive)...

This is a software bug.  It will be fixed in a future system file.
--
David Goldsmith
Apple Computer, Inc.

AppleLink: GOLDSMITH1
UUCP:  {nsc,dual,sun,voder,ucbvax!mtxinu}!apple!dgold
CSNET: dgold@apple.CSNET, dgold%apple@CSNET-RELAY
BIX: dgoldsmith

tomc@mntgfx.MENTOR.COM (Tom Carstensen) (06/23/87)

In article <1111@apple.UUCP>, dgold@apple.UUCP (David Goldsmith) writes:
> In article <746@mntgfx.MENTOR.COM> tomc@mntgfx.MENTOR.COM (Tom Carstensen) writes:
> >What is the real reason for the Macintosh SE's upper (second) disk drive for
> >being so slow (I've measured it to being up to 50% slower, or 1.5 times
> >longer than the lower drive)...
>
> This is a software bug.  It will be fixed in a future system file.

If it is a software bug in the system file, why does old system versions (any
version) also have this problem, and if still so, why hasn't it been fixed
by now?  Of the two systems I commonly use (ver 3.2 & ver 4.0) they both
have the same effect on the upper drive.

Tom Carstensen
Mentor Graphics

han@apple.UUCP (Byron Han) (06/24/87)

In article <756@mntgfx.MENTOR.COM>, tomc@mntgfx.MENTOR.COM (Tom Carstensen) writes:
> In article <1111@apple.UUCP>, dgold@apple.UUCP (David Goldsmith) writes:
> > In article <746@mntgfx.MENTOR.COM> tomc@mntgfx.MENTOR.COM (Tom Carstensen) writes:
> > >What is the real reason for the Macintosh SE's upper (second) disk drive for
> > >being so slow (I've measured it to being up to 50% slower, or 1.5 times
> > >longer than the lower drive)...
> >
> > This is a software bug.  It will be fixed in a future system file.
>
> If it is a software bug in the system file, why does old system versions (any
> version) also have this problem, and if still so, why hasn't it been fixed
> by now?  Of the two systems I commonly use (ver 3.2 & ver 4.0) they both
> have the same effect on the upper drive.

It may be that a patch is needed and will be provided in a future system file.

Of course, this is not to be construed as any OFFICIAL Apple advise.  My
comments are strictly personal opinion.

/*--------------------------------------------------------------------------*/
/*  NOTE: This represents my personal viewpoints and in no way represents   */
/*               any official position of Apple Computer, Inc.              */
/* Byron B. Han                 UUCP: {sun,voder,nsc,mtxinu,dual}!apple!han */
/* Apple Computer, Inc.        CSNET: han@apple.csnet                       */
/* 20525 Mariani Ave MS 27Y    GENIE: BYRONHAN         CSERVE: 72167,1664   */
/* Cupertino, CA 95014        ATTNet: 408-973-6450  APPLELINK: HAN1         */
/*--------------------------------------------------------------------------*/

briand@tekig4.TEK.COM (Brian Diehm) (06/24/87)

>> >What is the real reason for the Macintosh SE's upper (second) disk drive for
>> >being so slow (I've measured it to being up to 50% slower, or 1.5 times
>> >longer than the lower drive)...
>>
>> This is a software bug.  It will be fixed in a future system file.
>
>If it is a software bug in the system file, why does old system versions (any
>version) also have this problem, and if still so, why hasn't it been fixed
>by now?

It is a software bug, but it is in the SE's ROMs. It was discovered by Central
Point Software, makers of Copy II Mac and MacTools. Apple's response is that a
patch is coming, a patch found as a system file resource.

--
-Brian Diehm     (SDA - Standard Disclaimers Apply)
Tektronix, Inc.

dgold@apple.UUCP (David Goldsmith) (06/24/87)

In article <756@mntgfx.MENTOR.COM> tomc@mntgfx.MENTOR.COM (Tom Carstensen) writes:
(Concerning the slow upper drive on the Mac SE)
>If it is a software bug in the system file, why does old system versions (any
>version) also have this problem, and if still so, why hasn't it been fixed
>by now?  Of the two systems I commonly use (ver 3.2 & ver 4.0) they both
>have the same effect on the upper drive.

It is a software bug in the Macintosh SE ROM, in the floppy disk driver.  It
only happens on the Macintosh SE because earlier systems only had one
internal drive.  Note:  you should not be running a system earlier than
4.0 on a Mac SE.  In fact, you should be using only system 4.1 or later.
--

dwb@apple.UUCP (Dave W. Berry) (06/25/87)

In article <756@mntgfx.MENTOR.COM> tomc@mntgfx.MENTOR.COM (Tom Carstensen) writes:
>In article <1111@apple.UUCP>, dgold@apple.UUCP (David Goldsmith) writes:
>> In article <746@mntgfx.MENTOR.COM> tomc@mntgfx.MENTOR.COM (Tom Carstensen) writes:
>> >What is the real reason for the Macintosh SE's upper (second) disk drive for
>> >being so slow (I've measured it to being up to 50% slower, or 1.5 times
>> >longer than the lower drive)...
>>
>> This is a software bug.  It will be fixed in a future system file.
>
>If it is a software bug in the system file, why does old system versions (any
>version) also have this problem, and if still so, why hasn't it been fixed
>by now?  Of the two systems I commonly use (ver 3.2 & ver 4.0) they both
>have the same effect on the upper drive.
>
>Tom Carstensen
>Mentor Graphics
	It is a software bug in the ROM which will be fixed in
	a future release of the system software.  Actually, I think
	it's fixed in 4.1/5.5.

--
	David W. Berry
	dwb@well.uucp                   dwb@Delphi

blm@cxsea.UUCP (Brian Matthews) (06/25/87)

In article <756@mntgfx.MENTOR.COM> tomc@mntgfx.MENTOR.COM (Tom Carstensen) writes:
|In article <1111@apple.UUCP>, dgold@apple.UUCP (David Goldsmith) writes:
|> In article <746@mntgfx.MENTOR.COM> tomc@mntgfx.MENTOR.COM (Tom Carstensen) writes:
|>>What is the real reason for the Macintosh SE's upper (second) disk drive for
|>>being so slow (I've measured it to being up to 50% slower, or 1.5 times
|>>longer than the lower drive)...
|> This is a software bug.  It will be fixed in a future system file.
|If it is a software bug in the system file, why does old system versions (any
|version) also have this problem, and if still so, why hasn't it been fixed
|by now?  Of the two systems I commonly use (ver 3.2 & ver 4.0) they both
|have the same effect on the upper drive.

It's not a bug in the system file, it's a bug in the SE ROMs.  It
will be fixed by a patch to the ROMs which will be contained in a
future system file.
--
Brian L. Matthews                               | P L A N |