[comp.sys.mac] ADB Keyboard Key Code Info Request

david@uhccux.UUCP (David Lassner) (06/24/87)

I'm hacking at some terminal emulation software which doesn't work
properly on ADB keyboards.  Can someone send me or point me at the
keyboard key code info.  I'm looking for the equivalent of Figure 3
in Chapter 8 of IM-I (pg I-251) for the Mac and Figure 3 of Chapter
28 of the "Final Draft" of IM-4 (pg. 28-6) for the Mac Plus, but for
the ADB keyboards.  Apple Keyboard alone would be useful, but info
on both new keyboards would be fantastic.  Also, how do you tell
which keyboard is in use?
Thanks!
--
     David Lassner, University of Hawaii Computing Center, 808/948-7351
INTERNET: david@uhccux.UHCC.HAWAII.EDU		ARPA:  uhccux!david@nosc.MIL

tecot@apple.UUCP (Ed Tecot) (06/24/87)

In article <619@uhccux.UUCP> david@uhccux.UUCP (David Lassner) writes:

>I'm hacking at some terminal emulation software which doesn't work
>properly on ADB keyboards.  Can someone send me or point me at the
>keyboard key code info.  I'm looking for the equivalent of Figure 3
>in Chapter 8 of IM-I (pg I-251) for the Mac and Figure 3 of Chapter
>28 of the "Final Draft" of IM-4 (pg. 28-6) for the Mac Plus, but for
>the ADB keyboards.  Apple Keyboard alone would be useful, but info
>on both new keyboards would be fantastic.  Also, how do you tell
>which keyboard is in use?

Paraphrasing Inside Macintosh Volume V:
KbdLast	(0x218, byte)	ADB Address of the keyboard last used
KbdType	(0x21E, byte)	Keyboard type of the keyboard last used
			01=ADB, 02=Extended ADB, 03=Classic, 0B=MacPlus

End paraphrase

To anyone intending to use the keycodes instead of the character codes
in the event message:

DON'T!  Doing so will automatically lock your software into the current
configurations and no more.  Your software will not work outside the US.
(Forget KanjiTalk).  Apple recommends that you use the character codes
provided and only use the keycodes when the character code does not give
enough information  (e.g. to distinguish between return and control-m).

>Thanks!

You're welcome.

						_emt

jww@sdcsvax.UCSD.EDU (Joel West) (06/26/87)

The official way to get the keyboard type is to use SysEnvirons,
as described in Tech Note #129.  It has the same info as
Ed's note, with different numeric codes for the keyboard type.
--
	Joel West
	{ucbvax,ihnp4}!sdcsvax!jww or jww@sdcsvax.ucsd.edu