[comp.sys.mac] Expanding the Mac II Screen

ghost@rpiacm.UUCP (Dana Jacobsen) (06/26/87)

  Does anyone know of companies making larger screens for the Mac II
which would enable it to use, say, a 1k by 1k screen?  And how does the
Mac II handle the larger screen?  Does it expand the desktop to fit the
current size of the screen (and would most software work with it) ?
Also, what kind of prices should I expect?
  Thanks in advance!

sho@tybalt.caltech.edu (Sho Kuwamoto) (06/26/87)

In article <399@rpiacm.UUCP> ghost@rpiacm.UUCP (Dana Jacobsen) writes:

>  Does anyone know of companies making larger screens for the Mac II
>which would enable it to use, say, a 1k by 1k screen?  And how does the
>Mac II handle the larger screen?  Does it expand the desktop to fit the
>current size of the screen (and would most software work with it) ?
>Also, what kind of prices should I expect?
>  Thanks in advance!

From MacWorld July 1987:

Model                    | resolution | bits/pix | size | dpi | Price
Apple mono               |  640x480   | up to 8  | 12in |  76 | $399+$499
SuperMac mono            | 1365x1024  |     1    | 19in |  72 | $1495+$495
Sigma Designs mono       | 1664x1200  |     1    | 15in | 150 | $1795
Sigma Designs mono       | 1664x1200  |     1    | 19in | 110 | $2295
E-Machines mono          | 1024x808   |     1    | 17in |  82 | $1995
Micrographic Images mono | 1024x900   |     1    |19.5in|  72 | $1995
Apple color              |  640x480   | up to 8  | 13in |  69 | $999+$499
SuperMac color           | 1024x768   | up to 8  | 19in |  72 | $2995+$1495

Where the price is written in the form $xxx+$xxx, the first figure is the
price of the monitor itself, and the second figure is the price of the card.

The expansion kit for the Apple monitor is $199.

All of these cards work very similaraly, and as a result, any well behaved
application *should* run on all of them.  (we've all heard that one before)

In addition, I imagine that many more monitors will be coming out in
the next year or two.

							-Sho

han@apple.UUCP (Byron Han) (06/26/87)

In article <399@rpiacm.UUCP>, ghost@rpiacm.UUCP (Dana Jacobsen) writes:

>   Does anyone know of companies making larger screens for the Mac II
> which would enable it to use, say, a 1k by 1k screen?  And how does the
> Mac II handle the larger screen?  Does it expand the desktop to fit the
> current size of the screen (and would most software work with it) ?
> Also, what kind of prices should I expect?
>   Thanks in advance!

Supermac Technologies has both a color and B&W monitor which is
19 inches (or larger I don't remember).  You need to purchase their
video card for use with the monitors.  Cost: ~4200 for the color Spectrum
Monitor at ComputerWare in Palo Alto.  The BW one is considerably less.

I am not sure about the prices, so this should only be a guesstimate.

Software which follows the Apple programming guidelines (i.e. not hardcoding
screen sizes) will take advantage of all the space available on the screen.

In other words, if the program runs on the Radius, E Machines or other large
screens without any cosmetic defects then there will be no problem.

Most software that runs w/o cosmetic defects on the II will run on the other
large screens since the Mac II has 13"/12" C/BW monitors.

DISCLAIMER:  I have no connection with SuperMac Technologies except as a
satisfied customer of their Dataframe line.

DISCLAIMER:  I have previously worked for ComputerWare in Palo Alto but now
have no connection except as a satisfied patron.

DISCLAIMER:  This in no way is to be construed as any official Apple position,
or Apple endorsement of any products mentioned.

/*  NOTE: This represents my personal viewpoints and in no way represents   */
/*               any official position of Apple Computer, Inc.              */
/* Byron B. Han                 UUCP: {sun,voder,nsc,mtxinu,dual}!apple!han */
/* Apple Computer, Inc.        CSNET: han@apple.csnet                       */
/* 20525 Mariani Ave MS 27Y    GENIE: BYRONHAN         CSERVE: 72167,1664   */
/* Cupertino, CA 95014        ATTNet: 408-973-6450  APPLELINK: HAN1         */