[comp.sys.mac] Experiences with a new Mac II

cracraft@ccicpg.UUCP (06/17/87)

In article <3304@sdcsvax.UCSD.EDU> neil@beowulf.ucsd.edu (Neil Rhodes) writes:
>I received my Mac II Monday, and thought I'd relate my experiences with it.
>
>Apparently color monitors still aren't shipping...

   Same here. The local Apple dealership reports they won't have any
   color monitors until July or August, though they will have third-party
   products until then. They had only the monochrome a few days ago.

>After a day and a half of using the machine (and crashing it)...

   A diskette that worked on a Macintosh 512K crashed the Macintosh II.
   The salesman had to pry the diskette out of the internal Mac II drive.
   I have the disk if anyone at Apple wants to duplicate.

   On a timing result, Sargon III on a Macintosh 128K executed a 6-ply search
   of the opening position in 2 minutes 46 seconds. The same program, running
   on a Macintosh II executed a 6-ply search of the opening position in
   47 seconds, a 350% speedup, which seems minor, all things considered.

Stuart

(Standard disclaimer - These are opinions only, from a long-time
Macintosh owner.)

jww@sdcsvax.UUCP (06/20/87)

According to Apple's Developer Services, third-party developers
will seen AppleColor monitors in two months -- at the earliest.

While a recent posting suggested that the Apple monitor produces
better results, I don't intend to leave my Mac II idle for 2
months waiting for a monitor.  It looks like the Sony -- the best
third-party monitor I can find -- instead.
--
	Joel West
	{ucbvax,ihnp4}!sdcsvax!jww or jww@sdcsvax.ucsd.edu

ooblick@eddie.MIT.EDU (Mikki Barry) (06/22/87)

Using the specs from the net (thanks!) we built a cable for our NEC
Multisync to connect it to the Mac II.  The little macintosh and the
little apple are in color.  So what?  Big deal!

Does anyone have a list of the software either out now or coming out
soon that will take advantage of this wonderous color?  Mac Paint
seems to be the closest to even thinking about color (giving us little color
rectangles on the top of the screen).

Also, don't youse guys think it's time for comp.sys.macII?

Mikki Barry

stew@harvard.UUCP (Stew Rubenstein) (06/22/87)

In article <6147@eddie.MIT.EDU> ooblick@eddie.MIT.EDU (Mikki Barry) writes:
>Does anyone have a list of the software either out now or coming out
>soon that will take advantage of this wonderous color?  Mac Paint
>seems to be the closest to even thinking about color (giving us little color
>rectangles on the top of the screen).

There are a number of applications which will let you use the old
quickdraw colors, for what that's worth.  For example, Silicon Press,
Cricket Draw, Cricket Graph, to name a few.  Anyone know of others?
There are probably lots of folks working on real color programs, but
that's gonna take a while.  The Boston MacWorld Expo ought to have a
few, but only by the folks who were seeded with prerelease hardware.
I'm working on a color chemical modeling program, but it's not gonna
be ready for a bit yet...

>Also, don't youse guys think it's time for comp.sys.macII?

Only if you can find anyone on the net who'd unsubscribe to comp.sys.mac
if we spend too much time talking about the Mac II.  Or were you joking?

-----------
--
Stew Rubenstein
Cambridge Scientific Computing, Inc.

jww@sdcsvax.UCSD.EDU (Joel West) (06/22/87)

I'm sure there will be plenty of interesting Mac II color software for sale
at the Boston Macworld Expo, August 11-13.  Even if I have to write it... :-)

At this point, it probably would be pointless (and difficult) for most
companies to introduce anything before then.
--

In article <1097@harvard.UUCP> stew@harvard.UUCP (Stew Rubenstein) writes:

>>Also, don't youse guys think it's time for comp.sys.macII?

>Only if you can find anyone on the net who'd unsubscribe to comp.sys.mac
>if we spend too much time talking about the Mac II.  Or were you joking?

No, I wasn't joking.  I mentioned it as an alternative for people who
don't have time to sift through 50+ articles per day if they want info
on the Mac II.  I wasn't implying that Mac users would get bored with
hearing about the II.

Also, thanks for the information regarding Cricket Draw.  We tried to boot
up an older version on the II, but it was incompatable with the 256K roms.
Guess we have to cough up the 300 bucks or so.

Preliminary impression on the Mac II - YOW!

Mikki Barry

loucks@intvax.UUCP (Cliff Loucks) (06/23/87)

in article <6153@eddie.MIT.EDU>, ooblick@eddie.MIT.EDU (Mikki Barry) says:
>>>Also, don't youse guys think it's time for comp.sys.macII?
> No, I wasn't joking.  I mentioned it as an alternative for people who
> don't have time to sift through 50+ articles per day if they want info
> on the Mac II.

Doesn't anyone else have vn (visual news) installed.  It's much
faster than rn or readnews as it presents a screen full of the
article titles at a time.  Articles are selected to be read with the
cursor.  Finding the Mac II articles out of a bunch of 50 is as fast
as you can scan just over two screens of titles.

--
Cliff Loucks   ucbvax!unmvax!sandia!intvax!loucks
Sandia National Labortories, Albuquerque, New Mexico

mkg@lzaz.ATT.COM (M.GOSNELL) (06/25/87)

Early versions of cricket draw checked the rom version incorrectly.  Since
the program requires features in the 128K roms or newer, it checked the
version when starting up.  Unfortunately, it assumed that if the roms
weren't 128K, they must be 64K.
   Marsh Gosnell  mtune!lzma!mkg

fnf@mcdsun.UUCP (Fred Fish) (06/28/87)

In article <3347@sdcsvax.UCSD.EDU> jww@sdcsvax.UCSD.EDU (Joel West) writes:
>While a recent posting suggested that the Apple monitor produces
>better results, I don't intend to leave my Mac II idle for 2
>months waiting for a monitor.  It looks like the Sony -- the best
>third-party monitor I can find -- instead.

Another possibility, unless you absolutely must have color now, is to
coerce your dealer into loaning you a monochrome monitor while the color
one is on backorder.  After some negotiation, I got MicroAge to toss in
a free upgrade to an 80Mb disk (paid for the 40Mb), a loaner monochrome
monitor until the color one is delivered, a free 1Mb upgrade, and a
free copy of Excel (did I spell that right, haven't even opened it yet
but wanted *something* to run on my new toy and they had a stack of them,
and if it doesn't run I can take it back for something else), and a free modem
cable (yea I know, big deal).  Considering the current supply situation
I was rather amazed that they were even willing to negotiate. Then, just
to make sure I was starting from a "fair" market price, called a half
dozen other Mac II dealers and was quoted prices up to $1500 more for
the same configuration (before tossing in the freebees), so figured I
got up to $3000 off the suggested list price.  Maybe I just got a wimp
salesperson, or maybe the rumors of huge profit margins really are true.

-Fred

--
= Drug tests; just say *NO*!
= Fred Fish  Motorola Computer Division, 3013 S 52nd St, Tempe, Az 85282  USA