[comp.sys.mac] Question on Keycaps

kleef@cs.vu.nl (Patrick van Kleef) (06/21/87)

Programs like the latest version of Excel now use  the international
decimal denominator (, instead of .) to seperate the decimals from whole
numbers. But now the numeric keypad of my Mac SE loses most of its
handiness, because I when I enter numbers on that keypad, I still have
to use the 'typewriter' part to enter a comma.

This is also the case with many calculators. My question therefore:
is it possible for me to resedit the KEYS (or CAPS) file (part
of the control panel files) to re-arrange the numeric keypad '.' to be
a ','? I think it would be a mere change of a code somewhere in those
files, but I can't seem to find a logic in them. Any1 got more
technical info on those files?

Paul Molenaar

wetter@tybalt.caltech.edu (Pierce T. Wetter) (06/28/87)

In article <1046@ark.cs.vu.nl> kleef@cs.vu.nl (Patrick van Kleef) writes:
>Programs like the latest version of Excel now use  the international
>decimal denominator (, instead of .) to seperate the decimals from whole
>numbers. But now the numeric keypad of my Mac SE loses most of its
>handiness, because I when I enter numbers on that keypad, I still have
>to use the 'typewriter' part to enter a comma.

   It's not Excel it's something in your system file is munched. The , or . is
an option stored in one of the INTL resources try Resedit or the Localizer
program to fix it.

"But this has taken us far afield from interface, which is not a bad
place to be, since I particularly want to move ahead to the kludge.
Why do people have so much trouble understanding the kludge?  What is a
kludge, after all, but not enough Ks, not enough ROMs, not enough RAMs,
poor quality interface and too few bytes to go around?  Have I
explained yet about the bytes?"

wetter@tybalt.caltech.edu