[comp.sys.mac] Alternate sounds on Mac Plus?

rs4u+@ANDREW.CMU.EDU (Richard Siegel) (06/26/87)

Do the other Mac machines (Mac SE, Mac Plus) support alternate SysBeep
sounds via the control panel, or is this a feature unique to the
Mac II? Is there any way this could be added?

		--Rich

drc@dbase.UUCP (06/29/87)

In article <YUsaI6y00WI8YGQ1U=@andrew.cmu.edu>, rs4u+@ANDREW.CMU.EDU (Richard Siegel) writes:

> Do the other Mac machines (Mac SE, Mac Plus) support alternate SysBeep
> sounds via the control panel, or is this a feature unique to the
> Mac II? Is there any way this could be added?
>
> 		--Rich

None of the others support it with an Apple-supplied cdev.  That's the reason
one of my coworkers (Mark Bennett) wrote CheapBeep.  CheapBeep works with the
512KE, Plus, SE and II (any machine running System 4.1 or later).  It is a cdev
just as is Apple's, but goes one step further in that it allows you to select
a range of sounds which it will cycle through for alerts.  It uses SoundCap
files.  I would post it to the net, but don't have BinHex4 (I use BinHex5 to
deHex things).  It is currently posted to Compu$erve along with a folder of
sounds.

Dennis Cohen
Ashton-Tate Glendale Development Center
dBASE Mac Development Team
Disclaimer: Ain't nothing to disclaim in this posting.