[comp.sys.mac] FWB's Hard Disk Partition

chow@batcomputer.tn.cornell.edu (Christopher Chow) (06/30/87)

Well, I've just purchased FWB's Hard Disk Partition today and after playing
with it for a while I thought, "wow a pretty neat utility".  Then I decided
to make one of the partitions I created be an "automount" partition.

Boom!  When I rebooted the Mac the boot sequence will start, but after a
while the Mac will just sit deadlocked while displaying the StartupScreen.
I first thought this might have something to do with the other INITs which I
had in my system so I managed to remove them from my HD's system folder and
the problem still occurs.

I've also notice another problem:  From time to time, I'd create a partition
and then try to copy a block of files from the HD to the partition and the
Finder would just freeze, displaying a watch with spinning hands.  This
occurs before the Finder puts up the "number of file to copy: " stuff.

Has anyone else experienced any problems such as these?  Any ideas on what
to do?  BTW, this is my configuration:

System: 4.1
Finder: 5.5
Mac:    Mac Plus, 1Mb, 96k allocated for cache
HD:     Dataframe 20, version 2.6 drivers, initialization version 2.1(?)
FWB Partition: 1.05

Christopher Chow
/---------------------------------------------------------------------------\
| Internet:  chow@tcgould.tn.cornell.edu (128.84.253.35)                    |
| Usenet:    ...{uw-beaver|ihnp4|decvax|vax135}!cornell!batcomputer!chow    |
| Bitnet:    chow@crnlthry.bitnet                                           |
| Phone:     1-415-643-2953,  USPS:    2299 Piedmount Av, Berkeley CA 94720 |
| Delphi:    chow2            PAN:  chow                                    |
\---------------------------------------------------------------------------/

meldal@Shasta.STANFORD.EDU (Sigurd Meldal) (06/30/87)

In article <1566@batcomputer.tn.cornell.edu> chow@tcgould.tn.cornell.edu (Christopher Chow) writes:

> ...						  Then I decided
>to make one of the partitions I created be an "automount" partition.
>
>Boom!  When I rebooted the Mac the boot sequence will start, but after a
>while the Mac will just sit deadlocked while displaying the StartupScreen.
>I first thought this might have something to do with the other INITs which I
>had in my system so I managed to remove them from my HD's system folder and
>the problem still occurs.

I have the this configuration:
System: 4.1, Finder: 5.5, Mac:    Mac Plus, 2.5Mb, 256k allocated for cache
HD:     Jasmine DD8, FWB Partition: 1.05

and I have not experienced the problem you describe. My automount
works fine.

But there is an incompatibility between hard disk partition and Dreams
of the Phoenix's DA Installer+.

If you use the DA Installer, and let it use one of the undefined
slots, it interferes with HDB's allocation (?) of drivers. You have to
choose betwen the two. Given the job of backing up a 80 MB harddisk to
floppies, when most of it does not change, I opted for HDB in order to
let DiskFit do its thing in a reasonable manner.

As an aside, let me give Jasmine my recommendation. My 80MB arrived
BEFORE the announced 2 weeks from my date of order, and has worked
flawlessly (for a month).