[comp.sys.mac] Folder Security

rs4u+@ANDREW.CMU.EDU (Richard Siegel) (06/24/87)

Are there any extensions or hooks built into the file system
so that a given disk or folder can be password-protected?
I know that AppleShare gives such protection, but I
was thinking in terms of a directory on a local hard disk
or floppy, rather than a file server.

I guess one could write patches to HFS to do this, but I am
not especially interested in so doing....

		--Rich

R-Squared Development Systems
134 Horseshoe Drive
Williamsburg, Virginia 23185
(804) 229-2152 [After 6pm eastern time only]

Arpanet: rs4u@andrew.cmu.edu
Uucp: {your fave gateway}!seismo!andrew.cmu.edu!rs4u

Disclaimer? I don't even KNOW 'er!

"Do you wanna be a cop or a lost cause?"
    -- Sean Connery, in "The Untouchables"

eirik@tekcrl.TEK.COM (Eirik Fuller) (07/01/87)

In article <YUs0qXy00WI8IOU0IA@andrew.cmu.edu> rs4u+@ANDREW.CMU.EDU (Richard Siegel) writes:

>Are there any extensions or hooks built into the file system
>so that a given disk or folder can be password-protected?
>I know that AppleShare gives such protection, but I
>was thinking in terms of a directory on a local hard disk
>or floppy, rather than a file server.
>
>I guess one could write patches to HFS to do this, but I am
>not especially interested in so doing....

It sounds to me like you should get a copy of Silver Lining, the
formatting software that comes with Kammerman hard drives.  It doesn't
let you put a password on a folder, but it does one better than that.
It allows you to format the disk into multiple volumes, and choose which
ones to protect.  This is not just handy, but essential in our
environment in which commercial software is installed on public access
machines; it eliminates (or at least alleviates...) concern about
piracy.  I much prefer it to locking floppy disks in a drawer :-).

The newest version of Silver Lining has an interesting feature:  it
lets you resize volumes dynamically (without losing data).  If, for
example, you want more space on your boot volume, you can shrink the
next volume, as long as you don't shrink it by more than the free space
on the volume you are shrinking.  Since the desk accessory that comes
with it (used for mounting volumes) has buttons for specifying which
volumes are mounted at boot time, it is also trivially easy to switch
system files.  All the capabilities of floppies, without the grunting
noises :-).

In the past, you had to buy a Kammerman drive to get this software.
This is not a bad deal really; I have a 20 meg Kammerman drive, and I
have been very happy with it.  More recently, however, I have heard
that Kammerman is also selling the software by itself.

A disclaimer of sorts:  I know the guy who wrote the Silver Lining
software; in fact, I have beta tested it.  Even so, as a satisfied
customer, I would hold these opinions even if I didn't know him.  I
have no vested interest in any of this.