[comp.sys.mac] cheap non PS and pseudo PS LWs. A LW-?

evans@mhuxt.UUCP (Sukie Crandall) (06/24/87)

Brian Diehm writes:
>Rumors continue unabated in the press about Apple bringing out a low-cost
LaserWriter without PostScript. Target price appears to be <$2000. It would
have a built-in QuickDraw RIP.
<
...<
I agree that a LW- without postscript would be a loose. One thing that may
happen which would put real pressure on Apple to not come out with something
totally braindamaged is the advent of Postscript clones. Apparently a half
dozen or so companies are frantically working on postscript clones to get in
on the PS market which is completely held by Adobe (with their $1000+ per
printer license!). The differences will be in the way bitmaps are handled
with some of the clone makers hinting that they can make their clones much faste
r than conventional PS. It will be interesting to watch. With IBM and others
endorsing the PS standard along with the advent of clones, we should see
add-on hardware kits for generic PC laserprinters, new laserprinters
bundled with the PS clones, and (the neatest rumor I've heard) "software"
solutions that would run the PS clone stuff on the Mac itself. They would be
slow, but if you didn't have much work to do a $1500 lp and a few hundred
buck piece of software may be the ticket (esp when Macs get multitasking!).

Any of the above will put pressure on Apple and Adobe. The high end of the
market won't be affected, but the rest of us with a < $2k threshold for a
laserprinter may actually see progress in the next year.

Steve Crandall
ihnp4!research!polya!evans

hayes@wizard.ucsd.edu (James Hayes) (06/26/87)

evans@mhuxt.UUCP (Sukie Crandall) writes in article <1793@mhuxt.UUCP>:

> [...]  Apparently a half
>dozen or so companies are frantically working on postscript clones to get in
>on the PS market which is completely held by Adobe (with their $1000+ per
>printer license!).

$1000+?   Isn't it more like $100?   (Does anyone really know?)

Considering that Apple provided the seed money for Adobe, what kind of license
do they pay per LaserWriter?

(BTW:  The CS dept. at UCSD has 2 QMS/Talaris PS800 Postscript printers that
work flawlessly with Mac generated Postscript. [A tad faster too...] :-)

Jim Hayes, University of California at San Diego.

BITNET: hayes%sdcsvax@WISCVM.BITNET
ARPA:	hayes@sdcsvax.ucsd.edu
UUCP:   {pick one close to berkeley}!sdcsvax!hayes

zrm@eddie.MIT.EDU (Zigurd R. Mednieks) (06/30/87)

In article <1793@mhuxt.UUCP> evans@mhuxt.UUCP (Sukie Crandall) writes:

>Brian Diehm writes:
>>Rumors continue unabated in the press about Apple bringing out a low-cost
>LaserWriter without PostScript. Target price appears to be <$2000. It would
>have a built-in QuickDraw RIP.
>...<
>I agree that a LW- without postscript would be a loose. One thing that may

I don't agree that not having Postscript would make a losing
laserwriter. It would take too long to spell it out, but it looks as
though there are very few things that a QuickDraw printer couldn't do.
You couldn't program it like a LaserWriter, but you could print text
at the same qality as the current LaserWriter, and you could print
graphics (at least Quickdraw-originated graphics) with the same
quality too.

Anything that could not be done through abstractions in the printer
driver could be handled through driver control calls.

In addition, such a printer wouln't need neccessarily need a separate
processor -- the Macintosh itself could create and tranfer bits fast
enough.

$2000? Where do I sign?

-Zigurd

stew@endor.harvard.edu (Stew Rubenstein) (07/01/87)

In article <6224@eddie.MIT.EDU> zrm@eddie.MIT.EDU (Zigurd R. Mednieks) writes:
>In article <1793@mhuxt.UUCP> evans@mhuxt.UUCP (Sukie Crandall) writes:
>>
>>Brian Diehm writes:
>>>Rumors continue unabated in the press about Apple bringing out a low-cost
>>LaserWriter without PostScript. Target price appears to be <$2000. It would
>>have a built-in QuickDraw RIP.
>>...<
>>I agree that a LW- without postscript would be a loose. One thing that may
>
>I don't agree that not having Postscript would make a losing
>laserwriter. It would take too long to spell it out, but it looks as
>though there are very few things that a QuickDraw printer couldn't do.

There are a zillion advanced graphics concepts in PostScript that are
light-years ahead of quickdraw.  It's a shame that PostScript was never
supported properly by Apple - there'd be some dynamite possibilities
if PostScript supplanted QuickDraw completely.

Any graphics system which can't even draw an oval at an arbitrary
angle is not worth beans.  And if you've compared the results of
PostScript's line-joining to the "pen hangs below and to the right of
the current point" nonsense, you'll agree that the results even for
simple graphics are superior.

I only hope that the people making this decision at Apple know enough
about the advantages of PostScript over QuickDraw to make an informed
decision, and that the legal problems of licensing PostScript for the
Macintosh itself (as opposed to in the printer) are not insurmountable.

Stew Rubenstein
Cambridge Scientific Computing, Inc.
UUCPnet:    seismo!harvard!rubenstein            CompuServe: 76525,421
Internet:   rubenstein@harvard.harvard.edu       MCIMail:    CSC