[comp.sys.mac] New System 4.1

jinsley@mntgfx.MENTOR.COM (Jim Insley) (06/30/87)

I just downloaded the new finder/system 5.5/4.1 and have a few questions.
First, after trying to update my disks with the new system I found that
it is approx 109K Bytes bigger that 4.0.  I assume that this is so it
can be compatible with the MAC II.  I have a Mac SE, with two floppies and
find it impossible to update any system disks when the new system is 109K
larger.
-- First, can the system be stripped down for non-MacII machines - and if
not, what are peeple supposed to due that have SE's with two floppies???

The minimum system file (1-DA and only the required FONTs) used to be (for
4.0) approx 80K, now with 4.1 its approx 190K, and after an average amount
of fonts and DA's are added, I have a system file that about 400K - (ouch!)

Any answers?

** Also, the new system 4.1 does not fix the SE's slow upper drive - maybe
later?

Thomas Carstensen
Mentor Graphics

sebruun@ihlpa.ATT.COM (Bruun) (07/01/87)

In article <773@mntgfx.MENTOR.COM>, jinsley@mntgfx.MENTOR.COM (Jim Insley) writes:

> ** Also, the new system 4.1 does not fix the SE's slow upper drive - maybe
> later?
>
> Thomas Carstensen
> Mentor Graphics

The latest version of Central Point's Copy ][ Mac (version 6.5) includes
a backpatch to System 4.1 to cure the slow drive problem.  I haven't had
the chance to try it yet (Hell, I don't even use an SE!), but it's there
for those of you who need it.

Happy hunting!

Steve Bruun
AT&T Bell Labs