[comp.sys.mac] Mac --> Ethernet --> VAX

rs4u+@ANDREW.CMU.EDU (Richard Siegel) (06/22/87)

We've got a network here of Macs with a LaserWriter, and  a VAX 750.
What we'd like to do is conect the two together for easy file
transfers, preferably using TCP/IP. Kinetics makes the FastPath, which
sems fine, and we're getting an Ethernet card for the Vax, but
what about the TCP/IP drivers? Where can I get those?

Also, what about software for doing the file transfers? A Mac-like
desktop interface would be the best...

		--Rich

R-Squared Development Systems
134 Horseshoe Drive
Williamsburg, Virginia 23185
(804) 229-2152 [After 6pm eastern time only]

Arpanet: rs4u@andrew.cmu.edu
Uucp: {your fave gateway}!seismo!andrew.cmu.edu!rs4u

Disclaimer? I don't even KNOW 'er!

"Do you wanna be a cop or a lost cause?"
    -- Sean Connery, in "The Untouchables"

ems@apple.UUCP (Mike Smith) (07/02/87)

In article <sUrGizy00WI8zYk1lz@andrew.cmu.edu>, rs4u+@ANDREW.CMU.EDU (Richard Siegel) writes:

> We've got a network here of Macs with a LaserWriter, and  a VAX 750.
> What we'd like to do is conect the two together for easy file
> transfers, preferably using TCP/IP. Kinetics makes the FastPath, which
> sems fine, and we're getting an Ethernet card for the Vax, but
> what about the TCP/IP drivers? Where can I get those?
>
> Also, what about software for doing the file transfers? A Mac-like
> desktop interface would be the best...

What we use is the Kinetics box to connect appletalk to ethernet.  On the
Macs we run a product called pcLink made by a company called Pacer.  It
does a nice terminal emulation and does file transfers with a mac style
interface.  They also provide a disk server function that lets you put
a logical Mac disk on you host machine.  It looks smells and tastes like
any other disk icon on your desk top (except for the speed ...) but is
actually on the host.  Nice touch:  Since their product has a major part
that runs on the host, site licensing for the Mac's is easy.

My connection with Pacer is limited to being a happy user/administrator
of a network using their stuff.  Especially the feature of printing a host
file on my local laserwriter...

Kinetics also makes a SCSI port box for those folks wanting faster speeds..
My relationship with Kinetics is also limited to being a happy user/admin. of
a network using their stuff.
--

E. Michael Smith  ...!sun!apple!ems

'If you can dream it, you can do it'  Walt Disney

This is the obligatory disclaimer of everything. (Including but
not limited to: typos, spelling, diction, logic, and nuclear war)