[comp.sys.mac] Taking a Mac to Europe

housen@ssc-vax.UUCP (Kevin Housen) (07/02/87)

A while back there was some discussion of traveling to Europe with
a Mac.  I may be going to Yugoslavia and Italy in a couple of months
and I will need to bring a Mac, possibly an SE.  Does anyone out there
have any experience with this?  Whats needed in the way of power
converters?  Are there any travel cases that work particularly well?
Thanks a heap...

                                 Kevin Housen

                                 MS 3H-29
                                 Boeing Aerospace
                                 Seattle, WA
                                 (206)-657-3484

mazur@endor.harvard.edu (Eric Mazur) (07/05/87)

In article <1318@ssc-vax.UUCP> housen@ssc-vax.UUCP (Kevin Housen) writes:

>A while back there was some discussion of traveling to Europe with
>a Mac....
>...  Does anyone out there have any experience with this?

Well, I just got back from Europe.  I brought along my MacSE (with internal
hard disk).  The wonderful thing of bringing an SE is that you can plug it
in 220V without worrying about switches/voltages.  The power supply
automatically adapts itself to a voltage between 100V and 240V and 50/60Hz!

A few things to take into account:

1) The SE with internal disk is *very heavy*.  It's moveable, not really
   portable.  You'll notice if you have to walk from one airline terminal
   to the other.
2) I asked to hand search it everywhere.  At some places they will then ask
   you to turn it on.  Be prepared and put a American->European outlet
   adaptor in you case
3) The new style keyboard does not fit in the old Apple Mac carrying case:
   it's too large.
4) The Apple carrying case does not fit in the overhead compartments, not
   even on a Boeing 747.  Here are a few tips:
   a) On American domestic flights on 'small' airplanes, ask the flight
      attendant to take care of it (they'll usually put it in the first
      class bagage compartment).
   b) On flights within Europe there is no such thing: you might have
      a problem (I don't know).
   c) On transatlantic flights on widebody airplanes you can put your mac
      behind the last row of seats in a compartment!
5) Don't fly TWA -- they lost my luggage twice this year and they were
   consistently late (maybe this is just a coincidence, but it is too
   systematic in my eyes).

If you have any further question, don't hesitate to contact me.

Eric Mazur

ARPA-NET:	mazur@harvard.harvard.EDU
BITNET:		mazur@harvunxh.bitnet
UUCP:						 	      / mazur
	{seismo,harpo,ihnp4,linus,allegra,ut-sally}!harvard! -- molphy!mazur
							      \ lasex!mazur

shibumi@well.UUCP (Kenton Abbott Hoover) (07/05/87)

In article <2462@husc6.UUCP> mazur@endor.UUCP (Eric Mazur) writes:
>1) The SE with internal disk is *very heavy*.  It's moveable, not really
>   portable.  You'll notice if you have to walk from one airline terminal
>   to the other.
When a machine weighs as much as a mac does the extra seven pounds are
not that much more.  I have an old style (512K size) case (the strap died the
other day after about two years of use) and my problem is more finding a balance
point in carrying it then the weight itself.
>3) The new style keyboard does not fit in the old Apple Mac carrying case:
>   it's too large.
however, the keyboard sleeve is well placed-- its on the closing side of the
zipper; the standard kbd sticks out about four inches, the extended sticks out
about eight inches (which is too much).  The extended kbd doesnt fit in the
sleeve very well either...
>4) The Apple carrying case does not fit in the overhead compartments, not
>   even on a Boeing 747.  Here are a few tips:
And when it does fit under a seat, it tends to fit very tightly.  I one day
hope to create a list of planes and airlines that have the right room under
the seat.

--
!   Kenton A. Hoover             {hoptoad,hplabs,lll-lcc,ptsfa}!well!shibumi !
!                                 SNAIL: 1748 Clement Street                 !