[comp.sys.mac] Not all code segments accessible from Resedit

waltervj@dartvax.UUCP (walter jeffries) (06/26/87)

I was exploring Excel with Resedit (1.1d) and was unable to access code segment
number 1 by double clicking on it.  Ok, I said, so I tried OPEN AS.  Still no
reponse.  Hmm.. OPEN GENERAL again yields no reponse.  OK, guys... any idear
what is going on?  Has MS copy protected the code segment?  It has stuff in it
as get info shows.  Interestingly there is a PCODE resource that acts the same
as CODE 1.  I explored a few other programs and ran across this in scattered
places.  (Darterminal, Illustrator...)  All and any comments, solutions, and
idears would be greatly appreciated.

  -Waltervj@dartvax.

idear =/= I am a dear...    idear == idea with a Maine accent.  :-)

dgold@apple.UUCP (David Goldsmith) (06/29/87)

In article <6538@dartvax.UUCP> waltervj@dartvax.UUCP (walter jeffries) writes:

>I was exploring Excel with Resedit (1.1d) and was unable to access code segment
>number 1 by double clicking on it.  Ok, I said, so I tried OPEN AS.  Still no
>reponse.  Hmm.. OPEN GENERAL again yields no reponse.  OK, guys... any idear
>what is going on?  Has MS copy protected the code segment?  It has stuff in it
>as get info shows.  Interestingly there is a PCODE resource that acts the same
>as CODE 1.  I explored a few other programs and ran across this in scattered
>places.  (Darterminal, Illustrator...)  All and any comments, solutions, and
>idears would be greatly appreciated.

ResEdit won't display a resource if it's too large.  "Too large,"
unfortunately, does not seem to go up if you have more memory.
--
David Goldsmith
Apple Computer, Inc.

AppleLink: GOLDSMITH1
UUCP:  {nsc,dual,sun,voder,ucbvax!mtxinu}!apple!dgold
CSNET: dgold@apple.CSNET, dgold%apple@CSNET-RELAY
BIX: dgoldsmith

olson@endor.harvard.edu (Eric Olson) (06/29/87)

In article <6538@dartvax.UUCP> waltervj@dartvax.UUCP (walter jeffries) writes:

>I was exploring Excel with Resedit 1.1d and was unable to access code segment
>number 1 by double clicking on it.  Ok, I said, so I tried OPEN AS.  Still no
>reponse.  Hmm.. OPEN GENERAL again yields no reponse.  OK, guys... any idear
>what is going on?  Has MS copy protected the code segment?  It has stuff in it
>as get info shows.  Interestingly there is a PCODE resource that acts the same
>as CODE 1.  I explored a few other programs and ran across this in scattered
>places.  (Darterminal, Illustrator...)  All and any comments, solutions, and
>idears would be greatly appreciated.

ResEdit will refuse to open a resource that is too big for it to manage
(meaning it needs enough memory to hold the resource but also to display it).
From the looks of it, the latest ResEdit uses 3 List Manager lists to display
GNRL (which is what CODE opens up to anyway): the limitations on displaying
resources bigger than a certain size may also have something to do with
limits in the List Manager.

As an aside, how about somebody taking a PD 68000 Disassembler and making it
the ResEdit Editor for CODE (this does not require recompilation of ResEdit--
yay Apple!).  I've long wanted to do this and have no time to.  But think of
the accolades from the development community!

-Eric

Eric K. Olson		olson@endor.harvard.edu		harvard!endor!olson

macman@ethz.UUCP (Mac Software ) (07/07/87)

Look at the size of your resource. I've had a whole bunch of problems
with ResEdit and large resources. Don't know what version of ResEdit
can handle them (I haven't met any yet).

Dan Schwendener

"If God had intended Man to program, we'd be born with serial I/O ports