[comp.sys.mac] Problem setting up Macintosh SE

ch2f+@andrew.cmu.edu (Charles Huff) (07/02/87)

I had a similar setup difficulty (the system folder has to be copied before
doing the setup), as did another SE buyer here at CMU.  After copying the
system folder, things seemed to work out fine.  The only problem I have had
is that every once in a while I get a "not enough memory to open folder"
message when double-clicking on a folder (what do you mean not enough memory?
I'm only running the finder and have one window open on the desktop.)  Also,
every once in a while (usually when the above problem appears) the special
menu has pure gibberish in it, though the functions are still in their
correct places (i.e. shutdown is at the bottom and will work).  Is this just
wierdness with system4.1/finder5.5 or is the harddisk setup stuff related?

-Chuck Huff

tecot@apple.UUCP (Ed Tecot) (07/07/87)

In article <oUuajhy00W0cwHo0B0@andrew.cmu.edu> ch2f+@andrew.cmu.edu (Charles Huff) writes:
>I had a similar setup difficulty (the system folder has to be copied before
>doing the setup), as did another SE buyer here at CMU.  After copying the
>system folder, things seemed to work out fine.  The only problem I have had
>is that every once in a while I get a "not enough memory to open folder"
>message when double-clicking on a folder (what do you mean not enough memory?
>I'm only running the finder and have one window open on the desktop.)  Also,
>every once in a while (usually when the above problem appears) the special
>menu has pure gibberish in it, though the functions are still in their
>correct places (i.e. shutdown is at the bottom and will work).  Is this just
>wierdness with system4.1/finder5.5 or is the harddisk setup stuff related?
>
>-Chuck Huff

Your desktop file is munged.  Rebuild it by holding down the command (option?
oh heck, hold both the option and command keys) while starting up your Mac.
Eventually, the Finder will ask you if you want to rebuild your desktop.

						_emt