[comp.sys.mac] Do US Imagewriters work in Europe and Japan?

hans@Shasta.STANFORD.EDU (Hans Mulder) (07/06/87)

I know this has been asked before, but replies have been very inconsistent
in answer:

Assuming that I use a 115 to 220 volt transformer will my Imagewriter I
(bought in the US; 60Hz model) work in Holland (50Hz line frequency)?

Assuming that my office mate uses a 115 to Japanese voltage (100 V ?)
transformer will his Imagewriter II (bought in the US; 60Hz model) work
in Japan.

Thanks in advance,

Hans Mulder

ARPA: hans@shasta.stanford.edu
UUCP: {hplabs,decwrl,sun,pyramid}!shasta!hans

pgn@osupyr.UUCP (Paul G. Nevai) (07/07/87)

In article <1839@Shasta.STANFORD.EDU> hans@Shasta.STANFORD.EDU (Hans Mulder) writes:
>I know this has been asked before, but replies have been very inconsistent
>in answer:
>
>Assuming that I use a 115 to 220 volt transformer will my Imagewriter I
>(bought in the US; 60Hz model) work in Holland (50Hz line frequency)?
>
>Assuming that my office mate uses a 115 to Japanese voltage (100 V ?)
>transformer will his Imagewriter II (bought in the US; 60Hz model) work
>in Japan.
>
>Thanks in advance,
>
>Hans Mulder
>
>ARPA: hans@shasta.stanford.edu
>UUCP: {hplabs,decwrl,sun,pyramid}!shasta!hans

YES, ImageWriter I works in Europe (despite all the rumors on the contrary).
50Hz is OK. Moreover, you can use the cheapie transformers to use it (unlike
with the Mac which requires the expensive induction type transformers). I used
my ImageWriter I in Europe for one year with absolutely no problem with a $10
Radio-Shack transformer, the kind they recommend for hairdryers etc.

What's disappointing is that if you ask AppleReps (as I did) they will tell
you that neither the Mac nor the ImageWriter will work outside the US and
Canada. I suppose they want you to buy them there. (In 1985 a Mac128 in
Vienna was over $6000)

I bought in Vienna an international powerboard for my Mac for $250, and now
I can use my Mac anywhere whithout a transformer. Yes, this international
powerboard is made by Apple, and it EXISTS (despite the denial by AppleReps
I talked to).

Have Orthogonal Polynomials
Will Travel

Paul Nevai                                pgn@osupyr.uucp (PREFERRED)
Department of Mathematics                 nevai-p@osu-eddie.uucp
The Ohio State University                 73057,172.Compu$erve
231 West Eighteenth Avenue                TS1171@OHSTVMA.bitnet
Columbus, OH 43210, U.S.A.                1-614-292-5688